I felt like a dam idiot yeaterday

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Dec 3, 2005.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I get a call earlier in the week from my regualar customer

Rich, Hey, Ken it's Rich
    Me, What's going on?
    Rich, Can you come buy and cut the grass 1 more time?
    Me, Uh does it really need It?

I had stopped by his house a few weeks ago for something and it didn't need it.

Rich, I would like the front trimmed 1 last time
    Me Ok I'll be there sometime this week.

I am in MA and finishing up leaf cleanups, all leaves are off the trees now we have had a few snow showers.

I get there yesterday, it's about 40 degrees tops and the wind is blowing at least 15mph wind chill factor = colder. I have a hard time starting the mower because it hasen't been started in a while and it's been cold. The mower finally turns over and smoked for a second. I start cutting (well I think I took off no more than 1/16 of and inch, nothing is coming out the shoot) Well it's gettign dark real fast. I stopped and thought. I look like a dam idot out here, A it's 40 degrees, B I can see their Christmas in the window C It's starting to snow! :help: :dizzy: D The neighbors across the street are leaving their house along with the neighbors. I said to my self WTF and I doing out here. Well I finish mowing, time to fire up the echo trimmer. I primed it 5 times and the dam thing won't start. It takes about 10 to 15 pulls to get the dam thing to fire :realmad: (It's cold out) I giving it gas to warm the dam thing up. It takes about 1 minunte to get it warmed up and stop bogging down. I finished the job up in about 20 minuntes tops. I can't imagine what the neighbors are thinking seeing me cut the grass when snow flurries are coming down. I just couldn't wait to get home. BTW It's a new development with brand new trees, about 20 leaves were on the lawn at most.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounded like a double charge was in order to me. payup
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

No way. Think like the customer not how much more money you can squeeze out of him one more time. The customers sees you will go to extraordinary lengths to make him happy even it is mowing in cold weather.

Think marketing and customer relations.

It was only one time and that one time will stick in the customers mind for a long time and he may tell other people how much you went through to get it cut.:D
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Now call the customer back and sell him on a winterization fert. When his lawn is the 1st to green up and look great next spring those same neighbors will be thinking must have something to do with the late mowing payup
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good Point.....Guess I was thinking what BobbyG would have done. ;)
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

He would have also serviced the mans wife and charged him a "bush maintenance fee"...
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i wonder what this same customer would have said if there were 50 leaves on the property, and u told him you need to charge him $10 extra because of the leaves. i bet he would laugh at you, and get someone else next year. as long as you're working on the cheap side, and giving them a few extras, you're a swell guy. as soon as you start acting like a man running a business, you're no damn good
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

You may have looked like a fool, but, the knowledge that you'll make the effort for the customer, is worth it. now, he'll probably tell alot of people about your willing ness to show up, even in really bad weather, and perform service.
  9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, This guy has referred me to several people and I've landed every job except 1. Funny thing his wife has also landed me a good sized snowplowing contact for 5 places this year payup. I am going to get them a gift certificate to an Italian restaurant. (for you local guys it's Luciano's by Gillette stadium )
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, people either think you are an idiot or that you are hard core.

If it satisfies my customer and gets others thinking about my business...
    I'll take 50/50 odds like that any day.