I felt Stupid, and It hurt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Mar 22, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I was trimming some bushes today and got myself in a tight spot between the bush and a corner of a brick wall. I was swinging the hedge clippers from left to right and moved my left arm out and swung the machine into my arm. It felt like a little pinch but from the looks of all the blood, it wasn't. Tore through many layers of skin and I quickly bandaged it up with paper towels and tape. My wife, a nurse, took care of me soon after. I felt like a d@mn idiot and I'm just happy no one was around to see. I didn't stiches and it will heel soon enough.

Just had to tell everyone how stupid you can feel when you get hurt on the job. Guess I'll be more careful.
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Don't feel stupid. Feel greatful that you didn't slash into yourself any deeper or that you didn't harm anyone or anything else. Just goes to show that there is never such a thing as being to careful. I'm glad you didn't cut your arm off!! lol
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Close call, good to hear your ok, I know a lot of people that had some really close encounters just like yours, guy up the street vs. lawn mower, lost a toe guy across the street vs circular saw, lost a hand, and my dad vs hedge trimmers got a good sized cut still has a scar on his thumb
  4. BLC3

BLC3 LawnSite Member

Did the same thing in the fall, cut my little finger to the bone.
    Only had 5min. left to finish.
  5. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

that wasn't that stupid compared to what i did
    i was at church popping wheelies and i fell back and cut myself on my leg and had to have stiches
  6. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

i forgot to mention i was popping wheelies on a wheelchair
  7. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i also did something like that in the fall. i was holding the clippers up over my head and when i lowered the clippers to rest and get some blood back in my arms i set them on my left thigh which pinched a small chunk out. it turned out not that bad but in my mind i thought i was ruined...... clay
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

About the only thing I have been into which is close is tree trimming. Way back when, I was trimming a frigging Ficus tree on a golf course I worked at in S Fl. I had another laborer with me, he says something to me, I stop looking at what I'm doing, the breeze picks up and BINGO!
    That tree squeezed me between two aerial trunks, shot me outta there like crap through a goose. :)
    Still makes me chug an extra just thinking about it!
  9. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it hurts a little. I have to keep cleaning it up, and the way I work it will get dirty fast and often. I will have to be more careful and remind anyone thats working with me about it as well.

And yes, I am so grateful that what happened is all that happened. Glad to have an arm to work with still. Thanks for the sympathy.
  10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Ouch man... I've done plenty of stupid ones myself. Don't feel like your the only one thats ever had this kind of thing happen.