I fertilized my new sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by robbcayman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. robbcayman

robbcayman LawnSite Member

I put down new sod around 7 weeks ago, I've mowed a total of 5 times and I'm kind of worried. My sod was doing great a good deep green when my neighbor suggests putting down some fertilizer (stuff he gets from a lawn guy some 45-10-40 or something I can't recall the exact numbers) Anyways, I did this 2 day ago and I don't see any burn yet, but I've been watering like crazy.

I water 4 hours in the moring and 3 at night. I don't want to burn up my brand new yard, should I keep watering really heavy???? I got peer pressured into this and now I'm scared and don't know what to do??? :hammerhead: Please help me :)

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you should be ok with the fert, but that's way too much water. Deep infrequent watering is the key. The sod should be rooted, and you want the roots to look for water, not be stagnant because you're flooding it daily. Also, try not to water at night as leaving too much moisture on the blade overnight breeds disease.

3. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes, you shouldn't water at Night because it creates fungus diseases. Also, unless you put the fertilizer wrong you should be okay. Just water in the morning not late at night.

4. robbcayman

Okay, I won't water so much and at night, but what type of watering schedule should I be on?? Considering my sod is only 2 months old and I just put down fertilizer. Should I water deep and infrequent or semi deep 30-45 min and 3 times a week?? Thanks for all the help!!

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The deeper waterings are the right idea, but there is no way of telling you any designated time. The amount of watre your system puts out, and your soil conditions will determine this. Take a screw driver, go out and poke a hole and enlarge it to get your finger down into it. Feel the area around the BOTTOM of the root zone. This should be moist. you may be right on with the watering times, though. Remember....watering is NOT the same as rain. When you water 35-40 minutes per zone, the turf isd actually only getting a very small fraction of that. It only gets a few seconds per cycle of the head. Another thing...Early morning is one of your most optimum times to water. The temps are cooler, and winds are usually calm - giving you better use of your water, but then the sun comes up - and dries the blades out - preventing the fungi that grow on consistently damp conditions. If it is hot, a mid-day watering won't hurt either. Just make sure you have enough daylight time to dry the leaf off before the sun sets.
    As far as the fert. goes, I like the potassium amount (the phos. is ok, too), but I do NOT like the amount of nitroge that went down. It is just too high and can cause severe stress on this sod. Is it slow release? If so, what percent? I woud've rather seen a percent like 24 for the N go down. Like I said though, I DO like the high potassium amount (40, I believe you said). Anyway, kep your blades sharp, and hold on to your mowin' rear-end!

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You said you could not recall the exact numbers. I doubt a bag can possibly contain 45-10-40 in a 50 lb product.

I assume your sod might be Bermuda. In that case the turf will use all the fertilizer you give it as long as you don't overapply the product. You can fertilize the new sod every 4-5 weeks until September.

New sod needs more water the first season because it has not yet established a strong root system. Like Runner said, how often you water depends on a number of things. You might need to water twice per week this year for example. Established turf can be watered once per week, but you probably won't have that ability until next year.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Easiest way I have found to measure how much water is going down via irrigation systems is with the tuna can trick. Place empty tuna fish or cat food cans around your yard, then run your irrigation system. Measure the amount of water in the cans and adjust your watering schedule accordingly. Lawns typically need 1 to 1 and 1/2" of rain a week. This is an average. Your lawn might be different. Use Runner's screw driver idea to check soil moisture. Better yet, invest in a good soil sample probe. And keep records of what you fertilized with and when. This way when you ask us questions you will know exactly what and when you applied so we can answer your questions better.
    Oh, and I agree, that is waaaaaaaay to much water and nitrogen.

8. robbcayman

Yeah, I could be off on those numbers I'll go by his house tonight and have another look. Anyways, thanks for all the help regarding the watering. I new I was probably watering too much but I didn't want to get fert burn. It really helps now to have a guage to go by screwdriver, tuna can tips. Thanks you guys are awesome!!! :)