I finally blew a gasket!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SpruceLandscape, Dec 17, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

:realmad: Sorry guys, but I just had to vent!

This is my first year advertising in the phone book. I signed up for two different ads in two different sections in this latest phone book that just came out in the last week. I put down a deposit in Jan. of 08 of $461 with the remaining balance of $1843 to be paid in twelve monthly installments througout the year. Sent in my first payment of $154 two weeks ago.
    Phone book just came out, and guess what...

And to boot.. They screwed the ads all up! The snow plowing ad doesn't even mention thats its for snow plowing or salt! Just says 24 hours service and then my phone number and name! The other ad shows endorsements that I don't even have!!!
    Then, to top it all off, on top of having to spend an extra $200-$250 on extra advertising in the newspapers now that won't even reach half of the circulation the phone book does, their solution to the problem was to offer me only 15% off of the contracted amount! :hammerhead:
    Imagine telling one of your customers that after you planted the wrong type of tree, and then justifying it by saying, "well, at least its a tree, so we'll knock off 15%... "
    I have a feeling we will be in front of a Judge on this one...
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

don't pay them ****. tell them you will gladly go to court. Threaten them that if they make a blemish on your credit for their mistake you will sue the crap out of them. This is why i don't use yellow pages.
  3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The name of my business is Curb Appeal Landscapes.

The yellowpages ad says "Curb Appeal Landscaping"

I won't pay money for an ad with them again.
  4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Didnt you get a copy of the ad to proof read?

If you did and it was the way it was supposed to be then dont pay the bill.

And next time find something better to spend your money on. Yellow Book sucks.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Was this problem with Yellowbook? Or was it a different company? I had the same problem (not quite as bad as you), but they drove me to scream at them on the phone until they did something to make me a little happier. Let's just say I didn't renew.
  6. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Yellow book does suck!!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I guess that's all I had to type. That sums it up. lol
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

That is exactly why I got such a great rate on my Yellow Pages ad's.

They screwed up the same exact thing as the OP and I just would not budge and did not pay them a cent till I got satasfaction.

Demand to speak with the regional account rep.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had several Yellow Page ads, and every time I've had to sign off on the proof before they would print it, did you not get a proof that you had to authorize before printing?

Seems strange to me you didn't get a proof, I've been in the Dex, and Yellow book, both make you sign several times for your proof before printing.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I literally begged for proofs and they never sent one or got one signed.

That's why I refused to pay, thay had no "proof" I agreed to publishing the ad.