1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i finally got it

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stslawncare, Feb 6, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Hmmm... Smokes = burns oil = bad compression?? My International used to smoke, we call it blow by. It's sitting on the side of my shop waiting for a new motor. :cool:
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

well for $500 bucks who care if it smokes a bit
  3. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Try replacing your piston O-rings. My sisters car smoked, we replaced the piston rings and it ran perfect. Might try that. And your right, for $500, who cares if it smokes a bit? Sink $2000 into repairs and you still got a heck of a deal.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i would care less that it smoked if it werent for the fact that i have to take it to get tagged and inspected and all that good stuff. i do agree that even if i invest $2000 into it to get it perfect its not a bad buy at all. any more suggestions to fixing the smoke problem besides the piston rings?
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

try one of those new oil additives. not sure they work but its worth a try
  6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Ask your mechanic before you go dumping additives in there, some are good, some are bad. I put one type of oil additive in my truck, it didnt do diddlysquat, put a different one in, got me more power. So they differ in actual usefulness.
    Used to, people could throw a bunch of stuff in the kitchen together, add some alchohol, slap a label on it, and sell it as "Dr. Ficksall's Cure-Everything Potion!" And people would buy it. Nowadays, people are careful about what they put in thier mouths, but not careful what they put in thier engines. Some of those additives are just some idiot threw some junk together and now sells it. So be careful. It could be useless. I am speaking from experience unfortuneatly:blush: