I finally took the plunge. (boy is it scary).

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Apr 17, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I read Sean's post and I hope this is in the right place. I would have put it in Aspects of business but couldn't fimd it.

Any way I have one week left on a two week notice at work. I finally have mowing and lawn work to do. I have $900 in the checking account and $90 in savings. I will be a full time Lawnboy next week.

When I look at the finances it scares me to death but I can't stay at a dead end job and cut 30+ lawns a week any more.

Has anyone else been I this boat? I think I'll be fine after I get done with work and start rolling this summer, but it sure doesn't look good on paper. I have about 6 nice projects lined up as fill in work and just hope I can keep it rolling.

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Good luck Bro. It is scary when you firs t dive in full time. Easy when its just eaxtra money. But when your mortgage depends on you getting work,,, it is serious. Advertise!!

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You gotta go for it at some point in time... It's not easy but if you do top of the line work.. it'll pay off. It took me many years to get to where I'm at.. doing pretty well.

Best of luck to ya!

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is wishing you the best. I know exactly how you feel. I started because I lost my job and was living on unemployement. When my employer fired me, we also lost our housing. Sold nearly everything we owned, landed a great caretaking job and bought a plow for my truck. It was a $6000 expense that I couldn't really afford, but also could not afford not to take the plunge. I was hoping to make enough plowing to buy a good Z this year. Well we had a snow drought and we have been scraping to say the least. I pick up my mower this week and my trailer. Now it is scarey because I have not landed enough lawns yet. I am confident that I will get more, but going into it not knowing sure is scarey. Where I was going to park my trailer and equipment fell through on me last week, so have been going crazy looking for a place to store them over the summer. When it rains it pours.

I think you will do fine and the business will grow for you. Keep your chin up and think positive about the whole thing. Good luck on your venture.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this isn't scarey, you just made the best move of your life. you know WHAT IS SCAREY? imagining working for someone else for the rest of your life, NOW THAT'S SCAREY!. :cry: :cry:

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i was scared too but went PT at the Restaurant and now am fulltime LCO.

7. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

hopefully, both of you are smart fellows............
    2004 tax return, depreciation deduct section 179
    business owners can write off up $100,000 in the year aquired

ie: purchased mower last year for $ 9700, then section 179, IT period.....

theirs one fellow i know that purchase dixie chopper, 60" cut each for the last 5 years, then last year he bought a gravely pm 272z, 72" cut diesel,
    cost him $12,400............guess what he did........uppppp section 179 it

so remember to tell you CPA, about section 179

good luck guys............. payup payup payup payup payup

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly. I can make myself sick thinking about going back to my old job. I don't think I could ever do that again. If you enjoy your job, you never have to go to work. I heard that quote sometime ago, don't remember where, but its the truth.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It's a tough decision, but you'll thank yourself everyday that you made it. Once you're well established and the cash flow keeps rising, your confidence will go up and you'll ask yourself why you didn't take the plunge sooner.

Don't loose sight of your objectives and always look for ways to improve quality and productivity. That will keep you ahead of the competition and in demand.

Good luck!

10. bplawncare

bplawncare LawnSite Member

hey im in the same boat now, im a crew leader and making good money on salary with benefits fully paid but im ready to go out full blown for myself but still havent gotten the nerve to do it yet! good luck ill be rightr behind ya