1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I finally wised up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Finally today went out and bought padlocks for my trimmer rack, blower rack, and 2 for a cable I strung thru the gas can handles, also caught my hedge trimmers with that cable too. I also have a good tounge lock I'm gonna use if I need to leave my trailer somewhere while I run to the dump.

Iv'e never really worried about theft much, but more and more i'm getting larger properties where I can't see my trailer when i'm on the other side of the building or in the back yards. The handheld stuff isn't new but still costs $$$ and takes time to replace if it walks off, and with the price of fuel as high as it is I'm really shocked my gas cans havent walked off already!

I will defiantely feel better now about having my equipment where I can't see it. I still may buy another cable and hook it on my 21" mower too. It sits clear at the back of my trailer and when the gate is down it would only take someone a second to snag it.

I had a tree trimmer ask me the other day if I kept my stuff locked, he had a couple saws stolen off his truck while they were inside getting a drink. This is NOT a high crime town, but it is here... I don't want to be another statistic!

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good deal,we lock em what's peace of mind worth.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We lock everything up, we don't want to make it easy for thieves. It is time consuming with locks and cables but not worth taking the chance of theft. We use a open trailer now, but will be getting an enclosed truck hopefully in May we they get the new models in. The enclosed truck will be easier because we can just lock the door. Also not being able to see the equipment will hopefully help to deter theft.
  4. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

Well.. We've been hit! Just Friday one of our maintenance trucks was in a higher end neighborhood in town, and a back pack blower was stolen right off the trailer. Our truck was sitting on the side of the road and the person got out and actually opened the box on the front of the trailer and took the newest blower out. The house keeper said that she say a guy pull up but figured he was doing some work around the house. Need least to say there is pad locks on all trailers today boxes, racks, and mowers with cables. Spent $110.00 today at lowes for new locks and cables... and also $490.00 on a new Red Max blower... What a day!
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Been doing lock ups for 3 years. Too many thieves around these days.
  6. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

Yea, we've done them in the past too, We just have gotten slack in loading and unload, if becomes a real pain. But I guess it's worth it in the long run.
  7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thats one reason I bought a 20ft enclosed trailer last month, not to mention the time it saves not having to unload at night and load up again the next morning. When I get the shelves and racks in it, and maybe a porta potty too, it will be a self contained rolling workshop.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think out-of-sight is out-of-mind myself, I recently started draping a 8x10 tarp over the stuff in the bed of the truck. This not only keeps stuff out of sight but also out of the rain. Before you get too happy with this method, you do need to secure the tarp some so that it doesn't go flying off as you're headed down the interstate, heh.

Far as gas cans go, I fuel up my stuff the night before and leave fuel cans underneath the house where it's cool. Someday when it's 90 degrees and sunny outside, you can literally see the fuel bubbling in the cans that sit outside, I got tired of boiling my fuel (not only is it evaporating, but when it boils it literally loses octane). For the 2-cyclers, I got in the habit of using a rinsed-out oil bottle which I fill up with mix, so I carry a quart of mix with me but the only thing ever needs a drink is the weed-eater, it lasts 8-10 yards on a tank but sometimes doesn't quite make it to the end of the day.

Everything else doesn't need fuel, the Wb runs an easy 8 hours straight on a tank, the backpack lasts 3-4 days on a tank (unless a yard just happens to have a ton of leaves), so why carry 50 extra pounds per can? Anything and everything I do not need stays behind, it not only saves fuel (better mpg in the truck) but if it's not there when the thieves come, it can't walk away either.

The one thing I do carry is I bought a hand fuel-syphon kit because the truck can fuel the mower in a pinch, and actually, vice-versa as well. And, I carry an empty 2.5 gallon container in case I need something to put fuel in for some reason (say I forget to fuel something). In 2 years of doing this, I've only had to stop by a gas station once or twice (like when I did forget).
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Now there's a good idea. Who said that everything has already been talked about here at Lawnsite. Thanks topsites!:)

I lock everything down when I'm out of sight except for my push mowers. Would you really steal either one of these mowers?

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Man I would'nt even let my dog use those mowers. Image is everything. Ha Ha Just Joking.

I also bought a syphon kit for that purpose but unfortuently will not work. Why? Well apparently in my 2006 Durango, 2002 ram 1500, and 2000 Mazda there is a mesh screen or something that doesnt allow you to get anytype of hose down to where the fuel is in order to syphon. A person would have to punch out the screen I guess. Not going to happen from this owner though.