I fired a client today and It Felt good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by No Lawncares, Aug 22, 2006.

1. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

So I mow for a guy that owns alot of rentals and this one rental that has been empty all summer finally got rented about a month ago. The deal was I stayed on to mow and the guy the owns the property would keep paying me and the tenants would just pay him as added rent. Well last week went there and the yard was covered with kids toys, lawnchairs, grills, you name it. I talked to the tenant and told him the stuff was to be picked up every Tuesday at 9:00 am for me to mow, he agrees. Get there today and there was even more junk out, rather then waste my time and move it or go to the door to get him out there I said IM DONE. And it felt good.

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i would have said last warning and youre done but whatever its your biz

3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that has 3 kids under the age of 7 and stuff all over the back yard. I just mow around it he eventually got the picture

4. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

Meathead puts it BEST !!! I've done the same thing, it works and it's kinda fun doin' it.

My story real short:
    This guy has his brother do some lanscaping.
    Brother plants about 75 plants in a pattern in a 3500 sq-ft yard.
    Brother leaves piles of dug up dirt next to plants.
    Brother doesn't "Believe" in weed barrier.
    Brother doesn't "Believe" in bordering.
    Brother puts down 3/4" of mulch, ON TOP OF THE GRASS !!
    You should see this MESS!
    I went back ond mowed what I could (mowing around the plants and 3 ft high grass choking out the plants) just so I could see the mess get worse week by week, I'm not going to bill.
    Unreal.

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here...I mow around it. I have one client that has a yard right out of Jeff Foxworthy joke...5 cars in the yard...and camper trailer...a ridiculous amount of just STUFF--headlights, bumpers, ect. Im not a yard cleaning service...so I mow around it. Its not my problem. Of course I have yards where kids will leave stuff here and there...and I move it. But when it gets to the point of being just stupid...I dont do it anymore.

6. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

I MOW AROUND IT OR MOW IT OVER, I DON'T CARE BECAUSE RIGHT IN MY CONTRACT IT SAYS WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO ANY LAWN FURNITURE ,TOYS ETC. ITS THERE OWN DAM FALT. :usflag:

7. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

It it wont hurt my mowers i run it over. im not the crap picker upper

8. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

If it wont hurt my mowers i run it over im not the crap picker upper

9. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

if it's small toys I pretend not to look at it and mow it and act surprised when I see em babys break.

10. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Like little tropical islands of grass LOL I bet that looks ridiculous the next week. You know they have to feel like an idiot after you leave and there's little circles of un-cut grass around all the toys! :laugh: