I forget how much

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I enjoy doing service work sometimes. I went to a house the other day that had a new driveway and side walk installed. I can't believe how much was destroyed during the process. I had 1 broken pipe under the driveway for a laterial and then 1 more under a sidewalk. It took me a day and a half to finish the job. I replaced some heads with these heads 6 toro 570's and about 10 weathermatic T3 heads can't wait fer that bill to be paid :D

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We just finished up a project I'd put off for 2 months. Rain had kept it green so I kept leaving it.

Client had a decorative fence put in over the winter and they managed to damage the pipe 13 times. So after many repairs, pipe was so clogged in areas no water would get through. So we re-installed the zone.

But first we had to find the valve. Not too much problem doing that. We found it buried along with two others and the master valve. Client had no idea they were there. So new boxes around the valves.

Plus we dealt with 2 older trees in the front and their roots. One root had grown over the top of a valve and was in between the solenoid and flow control stem. it had started to push the solenoid over, almost damaging the threads.

Plus we had already spent timer earlier this spring on adding 6 new heads in areas for trees. She didn't want drip.

Plus doing it in 95 degree weather when we'd beed used to 70s and low 80s made it so much better.

:)

3. Mark B

Hey Dana how is it the buy out that you did working for ya? Just courious. Mark

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Buy out is working fairly well. The above job I described was one of his clients. I'll probably bill her around $1300 by the end of it, and I'll give him $60. Basically I give him $20 per service call on his clients this year. I've been out for 3 different things to this one.

Many of the clients have older outdated systems that he was nursing along. I'm trying to push for updating the systems. New manifold, re-design the zones, new heads, timers to meet restrictions.

It has worked out good. I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm going to pursue 1-2 others that have wanted out for a while as well.

5. Mark B

Cool I hope it is all goes well. I have asked arourd at the supply houses if they know of anyone ready to give it up.