I forgot how expensive oil filters were!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Oct 7, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Just purchased 4 filters (2 Kohler 22, and 2 HP 16) and the total came to a little over $32.00. Whay are they double the cost of auto oil filters, yet 1/2 the size??? Is it supply/demand??

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

No it is not supply and demand. It is their demand that we supply them money. This is due to lack of competition in this market. Automobile oil filters are less expensive because there multiple manufacturers of automobile oil filters. They charge this much because they know they can and you have few options otherwise.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

do a search for a tread called "oil filters" its right there about 5 down if you type in oil filters in your search, i dont know how to post it on here. Lots of car filters will fit on your mower engine, and if its good enough for that, its good enough for a little mower engine, in my opinion. $2.99 compared to $8 is the way i look at it.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

car filters here.. my 24hp honda's use the same filterd as the handa accord, and the kawisaki well i use an ACDelco filter for it too.. cant remenber the ##'S, but i can get it if you need it, same for the honda

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 2.99 each for fram at wally to fit my kawi's.

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler 25 thru 2001 or so takes s2808 same as honda accord

Kawaski is PH4967 Fram, same as toyota corolla, I think. Check around, automotive filters are made with Kohler and Kawasaki part numbers.

On another note, I have been pleasantly surprised by the price of John Deere (Yanmar) filters, $6.50 or so at the dealer, and Caterpilar filters $7.50 for my Cat skidsteer. If you ever cut open a Cat filter you will see what quality is!!!

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The recent Landscapers Supply sales catalog had a sale on purolator filters for Kaw and Kohler for $4.89-$5.49 with a purchase of 5 or more.

8. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

I have the WIX master catalouge. I will gladly cross reference any filter you may need, just dropme an email. Take Care---Mike

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

quick question, where can I get my hands on that catalog?

10. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am also going to look at getting my oil filters elsewhere. Paying over $7 per filter at the dealer is crazy. :dizzy: My friend told me he gets his at autozone for the Kaw on his Scag for a $3 and some change.