I forgot to move my stuff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaulk, Jun 28, 2005.

1. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

Customer Calls And Says We Did Not Move His Grill,patio Set,and Soccer Net And He Is Tired Of It. I Told Him We Are Not Moving This Stuff To Cut The Lawn. After Going Back And Forth We Decided He Should Cut His Own Lawn. Just Wondering How Many Company's Move Stuff To Cut The Lawn?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i move it once and they get a call telling them it will not be moved again

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you let that stuff slide, they will continue to do and then start adding stuff to it. I won't deal with it.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they have a table and chairs...they get moped, but not back again. There is also extra cost involved with this. I discuss it with them, then go from there. The picnic tables theat are built with the steel curved legs get pushed with the mower. Trampolines never get moved anymore, because of liabilty reasons.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I tell guys to mow around it and trim after. We had one deal where they thought we moved something, broke it and wanted us to pay. I went back, looked, you could see where the Z went around and where the grass was trimmed - ended up children playing broke the object. So from then on - we move nothing unless asked.

Only time I do move objects is if they are children bikes, toys, ect, espically when we are spraying but that is different. Anything big - go around. Could be a liablity issue!

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I'm curious by what you mean by that? I have 5 trampolines I move a week in lawns. I grab on with one hand and run the dixon in reverse with the other till it's slid out of my mowing path. I also like doing this so that it's not always sitting over the same patch of grass. Since they cast a good deal of shade and also heat in the summer sun the grass under them can start to thin out after a couple weeks in the same spot.

As for moving other things U try to as little as possible. Iv'e only really had one chronic lawn ornament nut one season. Used to drive me nuts because it took as long to pick up and maneuver around all the crap as it did to mow. Thankfully, since I didn't bite on buying their "prepaid legal" package they were trying to scam...er, i mean sell me they found someone else to cut it the following year.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Liability on this is that if you move it and the legs come apart even the slightest...when the kid gets on it could come all the way apart and then...well people want to sue over everything these days. I stopped moving trampolines several years ago.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

So? That's the customers problem, they bought it and stuck it in the middle of the lawn, not me.

I move as little stuff as possible.

9. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

customer says you didn't move his patio set,we'll I don't remember mowing anyones patio today so why would it need to be moved. that is why it's called a patio set it goes on the patio. so no patio you don't need a patio set.

We solve this problem with our customer by having all of them sign our service agreement and explaining it to them thoroughly. which states that all items on lawn areas must be removed on the day of service and any damaged caused to such items we are not responsible. we do consider lawn ornimentation to be part of the lawn(planters,bird baths,windmills,etc.) and homeowner will be billed accordingly for the items removed from the lawn to perform service.(we usually pile any items in front of the garage door as a hint and don't charge the first time) but I will roll up the garden hose or something like that because even I'm guilty of leaving the hose in the yard.Since we explain to them thoroughly and inform them they will be charged we have very few problems.

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I move whatever needs to be moved. It's part of the service. I'm real fussy and can't skip around stuff like that.

You guys who purposely run over and chop up kids toys or can't move a few objects are second raters. I notice your kind are everywhere.

What pisses me off is a kid leaving rocks in the yard, or lacrosse balls. And it also pisses me off when somebody weeds and leaves piles of weeds on the grass. Now that I won't pick up! ...So irritating.

I do have one lawn where there are always 30 golf balls somewhere in the back yard. That's excessive. I run them over, but lift the deck up a little as I pass over them (if I see them).