I found a diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 30, 2009.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Today I went to my friends house to look at his neighbors truck. It was an 01 Dodge 2500 SLT Laramie 4x4 diesel, extended cab long bed and auto. Now don't flip here it has 240,000 miles on it, but it was mint in and out. A little rust on some stuff under the engine. The guy said the tranny was rebuilt at 140k. It was a plow truck and has a goose neck hitch. I could tell its been worked hard but no frame rust and interior was perfect just dirty. It has a banks exhaust and chip, also a fuel booster and gauge. Best part is that its $5000. The guy said he's ready to lower it to $4500. I didn't test drive it cuz it was raining but my friend told me to come back with 4k cash.

Oh don't tell me to buy a Chevy or Ford I don't care what you have and what works for you, I have narrowed it down to older Dodges for a work truck. I'll take a chance with the auto, maybe even with this truck.

2. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

I love Dodge's. Can't wait to get another one... Take her for a spin - if you like it - give em $4,000. Can't really go wrong on that deal... I've got a buddy trying to sell his '01 with 95,000 miles, auto, Reg cab for $10,000 - still no offers in 3 months. I'd get it but I don't do regular cabs...

I'd say go for it!!!
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its got miles on it but the diesels don't break in till 70k.
  4. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it man!
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

go for it....have fun, diesels are great...especially those older dodges...straight pipe that b!tch and it will sound like a million bucks...mine does

those dueller A/T's are great tires too
  6. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

The rust under the engine, do you mean how the exhaust manifold looked?, if so then that's normal for that high of mileage, no worries there. What does he have in the way of a "chip" on it? You say he has gauge's but has he been monitoring the trans temp?, if not he could have already cooked the rebuild. Has he ever replaced the VP44 or the lift pump?, I would be surprised if at least one of those thing's hasn't been replaced. From the look's of it, it look's like a truck that's in nice shape for it's mileage. Definitely take it for a test drive though, see how the front end feel's being as it's a plow truck. At 4k or 4.5k it's definitely a good deal.
  7. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

$4500 is a GREAT deal on an '01 Cummins. It's hard to find a Cummins diesel in an '89 for 4k. You've got a STEAL OF A DEAL. Those '98-'01 24-valve Cummins got the best mileage the Cummins ever got. If you keep the oil changed (dont EVER let it get black!), then it will probably go another 750k. It's only about 1/4 done with it's lifespan (since you live in the south the truck shouldn't fall apart, and you can keep it a long time). One word of warning, chips will absolutely shred the automatic transmissions on those (I know LOTS of people who have done this so please take this seriously), so NEVER put it on any setting except the fuel economy setting. Many people I know have destroyed their Dodge transmission when mated with a Cummins because of putting a horsepower/performance-increasing chip in. Also, you will need to change the transmission fluid and filter every 6 months to keep it going strong. I think if you do these things it should work out well for you.
  8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

give him 4k and spin the tires out of there!!
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Fantastic deal there! jump all over that!
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

You know the Cummins is good...The truck looks great in the picture.

If the trucks inside and underneath isn't beat to hell, and it drives nice and straight and no noises...

I'd be Cummin all over the place.:drinkup: