i found it amazing....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

last year, and the year b4, were problem years concerning fungus. it was bad, it spread quick, and could wipe out 3,000 sq ft, in under 2 weeks. well, two prospects both told me, that they use an independent guy for ferts. not a chain operation, like u know who, but, small independent guys. both told me thier lawns were hammered by fungus last year, and both told me, the fert guy thatched/aerated/ and seeded FREE OF CHARGE because the clients were "upset" about the fungus destroying thier lawn. now, if i were doing fert only, it would mean i visit the site perhaps once every 6 weeks. what happens in the period in between, is the customers responsibility to notice, and call me if anything looks unusual. would you have done, what he did?
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

no no no no
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I CERTAINLY would not have done what he done, however, if the property ws along my route or not TOO far out of the way, i would have done a quick drive by, just for my own satisfaction.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well Bobby, in this case I think you "assume" a lot.

Most applicators are well aware that the most common cause of fungal infections in lawns is over/under/improper feeding of the lawns. The next being perfect environmental conditions for the promotion of fungus (which have been present). But most applicators can also ID the strand of fungus as well as the most likely cause or causes.

So the applicator could have felt responsible for the fungus or more likely the lawn is very small and the cost to restore it is also very small compared to the future earnings from the site.

My guess is that your mowing customer turned you down on your pre-paid fert program. The customer probably told you that story as he told you thanks but no thanks because.....

(But yes I do think the customer should have the common sense to call)
  5. bobbygedd

from NJ

again, you are wrong. most aplicators do not know what causes fungus, and how to prevent it. all they know is how to thatch + reseed when it's over.
  6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

You sure do (at least THINK) know a lot about other LCO's companies and their knowledge and not very much about your customers. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
  7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i know what i know. the truth cannot be denied.
  8. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

That is why I network with a company here in town. I refer them and they refer me. Since I'm there every week if I see something I just give them a call. Our customers love this, they know their money is being well spent.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the crowd here, I run into stuff like this from time to time and find a great attitude to have is 'this is not my problem' and just leave it be. I do this all the time, if I had nothing to do with it I'll be glad to listen for a minute or two but really, it's not my problem.

I do like slebeau's scheme, the local chem (liquid fert) guys here work with various Lco's in this manner, so long the criticism is constructive it tends to be well appreciated. Stuff like setting the cut height to 3", could you cut it once for sure before we treat, then I spot a bug and let them know, and so on. <- This works because instead of competing tooth and nail, we kind of try and help each other... I always say if you can't do that, then do nothing because it's not my problem.

As to whether I would've done something different, well... it's not my problem.