I got a buddy with a Van problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vikings, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

He just bought this van for $2500, as is.

It seemed to work perfect for a week or so but now, when he hits about 60 kph it seems to chug a little bit and he thinks the tranny makes a clunking sound as it changes gear. That's how he explained it to me. I told him I would try and find out what's up.

Its a Dodge Caravan, 3.6litre, 94 I think.

Is his tranny going?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Could be Ujoints if it is a RWD van.

3. Vikings

from canada

Front wheel drive. I had the u joints of my truck go, so I know that big clunk when you're starting off. I also had a u joint go that would shudder my whole truck like crazy when I got up to speed, that got worse FAST.

I don't think that would be the case but I don't know too much lol.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The run part could be needing a tune-up/dirty air filter or restricted catalytic converter.

All these FWD Chrysler products have a slight clunk going from park to any gear.
    If this one is really loud, With the van in park and hood up grab the radiator core support and rock the van forward to backward while watching the engine rock and listening for any noise.

There could be a weak/broken motor mount letting the engine/exhaust bang on the frame, I have seen this on many different FWD vehicles.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

that was a lot to pay for that van, i only paid $500 for a perfect condition 2000 1/2 ton chevy astro van

6. Vikings

from canada

His Exhaust system looks like hell. It hangs almost to the ground, I don't think I would be exaggerating too much if I said I could almost see the top of his muffler just standing up looking at the van from 50 feet away.
    And it was red with rust to. I thought maybe the shop who sold it to him grabbed it from a scrap yard because the whole pipe is visible like it wasn't meant to go along the contours of the van to stay hidden.

He's convinced its the tranny, but this only happens when he hits about 45 mph, he thinks it when the tranny goes into a different gear at that speed.

7. Vikings

from canada

Can't buy cars here for $500 bucks at all. They need to be government safetied and that can be a pain.

I paid $3000 for a 92 chevy sierra 2 years ago. :( Mind you I like it. We have different economies I guess, more social programs and more taxes up here and everything costs more.

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, remind me not to buy a car in canada. i don't know what government saftied involves, but my van passed the MA inspection with flying colors, and MA is very strict when it comes to emissions and vehicle safety.

9. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Originally Posted by Vikings
    Can't buy cars here for $500 bucks at all. They need to be government safetied and that can be a pain.

I paid $3000 for a 92 chevy sierra 2 years ago. Mind you I like it. We have different economies I guess, more social programs and more takes up here and everything costs more.
    --------------------------
    wow, remind me not to buy a car in canada. i don't know what government saftied involves, but my van passed the MA inspection with flying colors, and MA is very strict when it comes to emissions and vehicle safety.
    OH GOrrSh!
    I can buy many, many.."MANY cars,and some truck too(my '88 chev pick was $740!, just a hint of blue smoke at start up,the only issue it ever had since 2003)
    Vikings i strongly suggest you take a peeksy at the 'Bargain Finder' (Available throughout Canada's entireties.

Rest easy Mark Lane it's no nightmare..real estate $property/renting$,now there's a serious problem i have issues with!