1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i got a call at 9:30 pm tonight....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dcgreenspro, May 6, 2006.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Lady calls at 9:30 while i am drinking and playing cards with my 80 year old grandfather and says her lawn is dying and can i help her out. After a couple of questions, i find out she put round up concentrate on her lawn. (apperently, guy at home depot tells her to spray where the weeds are and it will kill them.) She procedes to spray HER ENTIRE FRONT LAWN.
    i kinda laughed and told her that sod is going to be her only option and that i will be out to give a quote in the morning.
    My question is, if she doesn't go for the price for renovation, would you still quote her a price on seeding the yard even though you know it probably isn't going to grow because of heat/lack of water?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

sure, its up to her after you seed to keep it watered to your specifications and as long as you tell her that there is a possiblility it may not grow, then your all set, and of course that you have that in a contract!! just my .02
  3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'm not sure that is very ethical. After all this is a lady who obviously has absolutely no knowledge of lawn care. To attempt to sell her seeding when we all know there is very little chance of it growing, even if it is watered, is just wrong and predatory. You should tell her, either sod, or live with a dead lawn through the summer and you'll be back to renovate it with seed, in the fall.

Of course, after all this and she still wants it done, either by you or another company, it would be prudent to take the job, but take total control to maximize the success of the lawn.
    That's how you get referrals and repeat business.
  4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If EVERYONE thought like you, we would all be in better shape...:usflag:
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Give her the price of sod installation and then give her a price for seed installation but explain the differences and possible outcomes to her. Thats what I would do. Just tell her with the sod you can just about guarentee shell have a lawn but with the seed you cant guarentee it will grow because of the round up. You always havta be honest, because the next guy who comes to give her an estimate could hear about what you said, now you have a bad repuation being spread around.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would she water the sod anymore then the seed>?
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly.

Also, what does having sprayed round up have to do with the new seeding. You can reseed after using round up in about a week.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'd say the heat is a reason not to do a reseed job.. the seedlings can't take 100 degree weather.
  9. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Sod needs water much more than a seed job!!
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Heat is not a normal problem in PA in the first week of May>100 degre weather
    is pretty unusual ANY time