I got a good deal on skid steer tires BUT???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by General Grounds, Feb 14, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i own a CAT 226 and has about 300 hours on it and the machine gets babied, my dealer contacted me and said he had a great deal on tires they actually will stop making this tire and happens to be the type on my machine. i purchased the tires but the machine will not need tires until at the very least next fall, will new tires dry rot or is there anything i can do to keep them new till im ready, i have them stored in a cool dry place. any help?? tony

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine them or any tire dry rotting in just a years time, especially kept out of the sun.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a size thats getting discontinued or is it just a tread type thats getting discontinued I wouldn't buy new tires just because you can't get the same tread type. If you are getting a real good deal where its something you can't pass up go for it but otherwise I wouldn't buy new tires and have them sit.

4. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keep them out of the sun in a cool place and they'll last for ages in there before any dry rot occurs. You could also spray some Armor all on them for som eadded protection.
    :alien:

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Its the ultraviolet rays in the sun that kills the tires. Just stack them on their side out of the sun and they'll be fine. Not sure I would be spraying them with armour all. It deteriorates the rubber after repeated use.

6. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

i would not spray armor all on them at all