I got a lemon for a mower.....Great way to start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slammedeuro20, Apr 20, 2008.

1. slammedeuro20

slammedeuro20 LawnSite Member

So I go out and buy a BRAND NEW toro turbo deck 36" mower. Its like a month old and I think the 6th account I cut my left drive belt skips off and is almost impossible to put back on. After half hour of struggling I finally get it after taking the whole brake assembly apart. The very next day I cut 2 more accounts and when I get home to cut my own lawn, the POS wont even start. I looked at about everything I know and cant figure it out. Maybe I flooded it. Nope put it on the trailer and today, the next day it still wont start. What the F*&%...???
  2. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

said it was a month old? who did you get it from? maybe thats why they sold it.
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive learned that it is hardly ever a major thing wrong with them. Mabey its a lose safety switch? Bad battery connection?
    The other day it took me an entire day to figure out all I had to do was replace a fuse that wasnt blown..... go figure.
    Check all of the small things that I mentioned and just trouble shoot it.
  4. slammedeuro20

slammedeuro20 LawnSite Member

its a month old cause thats how long i had it. its brand new. i bought it from the dealer. i checked everything i know how to. all connections look good. it seems to be leaking gas right by the exaust??? i have no idea why. this is just pissing me off. i have accounts to do dam it
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

call the dealer if those things stevef said to try don't work.i know this is not what you where looking for with a new mower.wish you luck
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah load it and first thing monday morning you take that POS to the dealer, then tell that guy he needs to give you a good one for all I care LOL... But do that, right first thing I think they open 7 or 8 or 9 am not sure you have to check, but first thing.

Tell them this problem, unreal, a brand new Toro what the hell, and you need a mower that works and you're already behind and what can they do and please, just like that... Kinda upset but not cursing or slamming anyone, a frustrated 'hmmm' tone I think is good.

Do that, then if they ask if you can leave it well that would be nice but this is your only mower and that is why you bought it brand new etc etc look you have to come up with some this bs yourself but use bs along these lines that usually works.

Good luck.
  7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

When you turn the key, are you getting a tick noise or not hearing anything at all?
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, take it to the dealer first thing Monday morning and tell him to fix it right now. Additionally, it seems to me that the things you described are covered under the warranty for service, parts and labor. No dealer wants a brand new machine to cause them "trouble" in the market place with a customer ... the dealer will find a way to fix without you paying anything !!
  9. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring it back to the dealer and let them figure it out....that what I would do.
  10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

its a month old havent you ever heard of warranty? id push pull drag my POS back in the trailer id go to the dealer and dump it in front of the door. what the heck man. ok but if its a walk behind my Briggs the cable on the throttle wasnt adjusted and the choke wasnt closing. so if you got luck time you pulld your arm off it would go. once i fixd it i was like wow this is nice. and wait you said you had a drive belt jump off. see my walk i would just unclip a couple cotter pins and i could get it back on real quick.