I got a mailing today???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by crc13, Feb 21, 2007.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Isn't it pretty early to be getting a mailing? I received one in the mail, got me thinking about sending mine out, but I do think it is pretty early.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Really depends on where you are at in the country. I'm in Florida and no it is not too early here.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Its really easy to find out where he is. Look at his location and that is his zip code. Not to hard to find out the name of the city he is in. GB

CRC I would say it is early for your area.

4. Grits

from Florida

Yeah, I know how to find out where he is by his zip code. I just don't care where he is. He needs to put at least his state, not his zip code....that's ********, especially if youare going to be asking location questions. I am not going to exert the least amount of energy to look up his location via zip code.
    He was generalizing that it is too early to advertise...and that is wrong. I also think that a biz should be doing some form of advertising in their off season. To each his own.

5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Grits, you sure do have a lot of input for a guy who has only been in this business for a year.

6. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

Williams, thanks for your "educated" response. I am very new to this and I will change my location. I was not aware of this, but will change it. Sorry Grit, would not want you to over work yourself, btw, I am in Wisconsin.

7. STONE SCAPES

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

I got a mailer today also. I started door hangers yesterday.,

8. Grits

from Florida

I bet I could figure out when to advertise if I have NEVER been in this business. It doesn't take a lot of sense....it might be a strain on your brain, but it is fairly easy. I'll explain it for you...now, I know about when the grass starts growing. So a little bit before that, advertise. I am a marketing genius. Business is business. And I have been in different businesses for quite a few years.

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

If there were specific neighborhoods I wanted to get into, then I don't think it is too early to get the marketing going. I would begin hitting them now, and probably every 2 weeks. Three or four cycles. Or until I achieved my customer acquisition goal.

When they receive the first piece, while there is snow on the ground, it probably won't generate a request for a price, but they may remember it.

Next time they are surprised to see the next piece, and it is getting warmer.

Third time, perhaps they are getting sold on the benefits of hiring you. They see you are hungry and trying hard. For some, they like that.

One more hit. The lawns are growing; you're getting busy. It's their last chance to sign-up with you.

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in WI as well.

I'll start hitting residences with flyers pretty hard the first or second week in March.