I got a tank, now what

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 8, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I have an old tank that needs to be cleaned out. My dad had it a LONG time ago when he had his nursery. as far as I remember from the last time I looked at it, all it is is a tank.

What do I need to make it into my second tank to use for my CT and Liquid organic fert?

Or do I need to just go and buy a new one?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Chlorine!!!!!

3. DeepGreenLawn

? I dont understand, not only is it not what I was asking but I thought that was the bad stuff...

What I meant was I don't have an engine or anything, what do I need to have it running so I can use it for the proper app.

Things such as; hose, engine, pump (what kind) where to get it, etc.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

having a tank is like having a condom u still need some other parts to make it fun.

5. DeepGreenLawn

nice,

I understand that, I need to know what all the parts are.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

well a motor pump hose and reel and that is the costly stuff
    i would pry look for a used lesco sprayer it would be cheeper and all there

HPIM0459.JPG

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

we are making a chunky tea sprayer.

so the hunt was on, 1 tank 500 gallon poly black with 4 holes and strap down bolt holes. cost 100 clams. that was the easy part. then we needed a pump and motor. so we went all over. finally found a gear pump, like a hydro seeder but larger. guy said it was for paper pulp??? So now the money$$ talk. how much I ask, and the junk man said, the bearing is bad 25$. ok sold. diesel yanmar 10 hp marine air cooled 75$ needs some TLC. and here's where you will get a chuckle. air craft salvage yard, has some old fire hoses and reels 1.25 inch and 300 feet long. so we ask, and the guy wants it gone. said he cannot sell rubber and we got the best one and split. after all the fix up parts and trailer axle and bolts we are at $700.

we also just got a new lesco sprayer out of the crate.

long and short a tanks just the start of a great thing

8. DeepGreenLawn

ok, so if you could tell me the type of pump I need and where I might find one (when I go to the yard what do I ask for?). Then what size hose do I need, I am a fireman so I know what an 1 1/4 hose is like and that is a little bigger than I was thinking. What about a aerator thing? something to keep the water turning and them product mixed.

I know I can go get basic stuff but I want to use this as a tea sprayer remember so I want to make sure I don't mess anything up, tea wise.

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a 12 volt pressure pump for boats, you could hook it up to the battery in your truck (or mini cooper). It has a built in cut off at 50PSI which is enough for spraying a lawn but won't reach very high if you are spraying trees. It puts out 7.5 gallons per minute, the 4 GPM one isn't enough push. We typically see equipment for lawn application rates at 4 GPM

Jabsco 7.5 & 6 Sensor VSD
    Water Pressure Pumps

▼ 41755-0092 7.5, 12 Volt dc, 50psi shut-off.

Hey Dusty, How much did that lesco rig set you back, what spray attachment do you use JD9?

10. DeepGreenLawn

AH HAH!

Took a closer look at the rig this morning and there is more than just a tank, it has a Briggs and Stratton engine and a pump. Did I mention it was buried under a lot of junk so it wasn't all that visible? So, now I still need an engine, a briggs, should have been replaced the day it was bought, and the 10' long hose doesn't look like it's going to cut it. But hey, I can scrounge up an engine pretty easy and the hose shouldn't be too hard.