1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I got burned (by the sun)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys wear for sun protection? I was out mowing over the weekend from 8:00AM to 3:00PM, and I really got burned. I don't think I can go out today.

What are you wearing on your heads to protect you face and necks? I don't think a ball cap would have helped much, and I cant stand to put oily stuff like sun tan lotion on my face.

Thanks for your .02
  2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I normally wear a ballcap with a big brim, a damp hand towel under the cap to protect my neck, lightweight long pants and a long sleeved t-shirt. This setup works pretty well for me to protect me from the sun.
  3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I'd recommend a sunscreen. Hats and whatever else still let UVA and UVB rays in through them...yeah, they slow them down tremendously, but what is some goop on your face vs. sunburns, or worse yet, skin cancer down the road. I'd get something that is non-comedogenic, meaning it wont clog your pores, and is at least 30 SPF. They make several that are water based that arent oily and stay on all day without coming off. Ya may want to look into something that is waterproof so that if if gets hot and you sweat, it wont be running down the front of your face and collar of your shirt :D If you do your looking, you can find sunscreens that dont even feel like they're on...Hats are good for style, sunscreen is good for preventing skin damage...
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 45 or 50 spf sunblock and when working I wear an army jungle hat to protect my face and neck. It also breathes very well also.
  5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I use a spray on sunscreen that has a SPF of 30. That way I don't have to get it on my hands. It seems to work well. Also, I buy the pharmacy store brand. It's always cheaper and has the same active ingredients.
  6. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I slather on the SPF30 sunscreen and use the spray too on my head. My husband uses the spray SPF30 because he doesn't like the goopy stuff on his hands either. It offers good protection and dries fast. I wear shorts and put sunscreen on arms and legs too! But we still have farmers' tans. I don't wear a hat, but I spray sunscreen on my head. Sunscreen is waterproof. And when the bugs are bad, we use Coppertone Bug and Sun SPF30. It is waterproof also and made for kids so it is pretty gentle.

Sometimes I wonder what putting all these chemicals on our bodies will do in the future vs. the exposure to the sun? These days they are finding something wrong with everything.

We saw a red headed boy out mowing one day with no shirt, no hat and no sunglasses. I KNOW he was sore when he got home. He was already pink when we saw him. Not too smart!!! These are the same newbies who never sharpen their mower blades and the grass shows it.
  7. SemiPro

SemiPro LawnSite Member

Check out http://www.sunprecautions.com/index.htm

I wear the "Adult shade cap with neck drape." Looks sort of like a French Foreign Legion hat. I also have a pair of their gloves.

The fabric is supposed to be a lot better at stopping UV rays then normal material.

I am not affiliated with them...just a satisfied customer.
  8. Okieboy42509

Okieboy42509 LawnSite Member

Its kinda actually really expensive, but i buy the sunscreen from my local dermotoligist its about 40 dollars a bottle but works great and isnt greasy.
  9. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I use a hat that I purchased from Gempler's called a Solarweave. It has a 3 1/2" brim and is supposed to block the UVA/B rays. It was about $30 after shipping and, for what it is, I think is overpriced. But I like it and will probably buy another when I wear this one out. I still slather on the sunscreen as well.
  10. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

okieboy- why would u spend that much on sunscreen?? i use just regular 45 spf from target or whatever and it works fine! no oily feel and its waterproof