1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I got his Tax Warrant today

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Mar 3, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a letter from local sherifs office today. It was a tax warrant issued from my state claiming I owed $172.00(?)and $921.00 in penalties from 2001. I dug out my records showing my state taxes being paid along with proof of delivery and called sherifs office imediatley. Woman there told me to call state IRS but she said they probably already took a lien on my trucks and said that $921.00 was highest she ever seen for penalties in her 8 years of issuing warrants for that amount. So far Ive been unsuccesfull in reaching anyone at state IRS, but i'll keep trying.
    Anyone ever ran into enything like this before?
    Any advise or comments
    Thanks for letting me vent a little!:angry:
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Finally got hold of this guy at IRS. He didnt have a clue what this was. He said he will have to talk to his supervisor to find out for sure. Cant wait to find out what this is all about:dizzy:
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

How about delinquent Business property tax or Sales Tax? Did you file Forms 103 & 104? How about Indiana Withholding Tax? Was there a Liability Number in the upper right hand corner?
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope you are talking to IN Dept of Revenue, not the IRS, about this. IRS is federal taxes.

Sounds like a sales tax issue. Did you have sales tax collections in the past?
  5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Two years ago I got a letter from the Ind. dept. of revenue myself. They said I was not on file as a Incorporation and that I owed back taxes and penalties plus interest. It was a lot of money. I just about freaked but I new I had filed and in fact had the proof so I called them and ASK the person who I talked to if they could help me. Remember who you talk to write all important info down and the names of the people and you "Caller ID" number. This can be straightened out they actually were very helpful in my case. It just takes awhile. About a year of twice a month conversations in my case. I got the impression the left hand doesn't no what the right hand is doing their at the I.D.R.
    I faxed them appropriate paper work and that confirmed that I was Incorporated.They sent me a letter stating the accepted it. Then the real fight began. Getting billing off my back. That took months. But it did finally get straightened out and I have had no further problems so don't let it get you down. Its a pita but if all your ducks are in a row you'll be ok. I think they ended up letting me off the hook for about $127.00. LOL.:(
    PS/ the number I called that was good as of september 2001.
  6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

You know I think I faxed them the info but I can't find a fax number in my records so maybe It was all by mail its been awhile I can't remember for sure. Just ask them any info you get to them the faster the better.The whole thing takes long enough as it is.