I Got Robbed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HB Lawn, Feb 1, 2007.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

Never thought it would happen to me, but it did. Last night someone, somehow, got into my community's locked RV Lot, where my trailer is parked and has been parked for 5 years now, and broke into my trailer and stole the following items, A Exmark Lazer Mower, my Stihl Stick Edger and my Stihl Line Trimmer. Funny thing though, in the trailer they left two brand new Stihl blowers, one Echo edger, one stihl line trimmer, one chain saw and a 48' walk behind mower.

What they did was cut the lock on the ramp door, get the items, close the ramp door and place another lock (same kind (Master) and color (blue), on the door and locked it, so it looked as if nothing was wrong. Until I tried to open the lock with my key. Call police. They came, took my report, fingerprinted the trailer and all. Now I need to contact my Ins. Co. See what happens next.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

That's crap,i guess they know stihl.
  3. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Thats the worst. Your lucky they did not come back for a second trip.
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

sorry,that sucks. do you know what time it happened? with that much equipment stolen, they would need a trailer to haul it away. most major intersections have cameras installed,might get lucky and see something :cry:
  5. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I have two thoughts about how it happened. The first being it was a inside job, because the combo to the locked gate is known only by those that live in this community and the lock was locked this morning when I went to pick up the trailer. The second being the gate was open (by a resident working on their boat or RV) which happens often and this guy just drove in with the trailer, knowing where I parked my trailer, and went to work and drove out before the resident was done and wasn't seen.

As far as camera's on the light's, this is a small town, but ask the police about it.

I think they got what they came for and got out quick.
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

From the way it sounds, they had been planning this for a while ... it sounds like there wasn't really anything you could have done to prevent it. Since they planned it, they were definately gonna get it ... if they really want it (and they apparently did) nothing would have stopped them. Just file your insurance claim and find somewhere else (prefereably inside a garage) to store your trailer.
  7. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear this bro but i tell ya what, Karma will bite these guys in the ass.

Good luck catching them bud.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, but if they put their own lock on it, they're PROBably coming back! This way, they could scope it out, wait for the right time, and enter at their convenience. If they left that stuff, it was either because they didn't have room to put it, or they were getting nervous about how much time they were in there. A lazer is a big load. Knowing that there are 2 new blowers and various other equipment in there, the greed would get the best of them. Too bad you couldn't put another lock on there that would let them in, and set a trap.
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Sorry for your bad luck. That's why I pull the key out of my Lazer and pull out the pto to deter them if they are smart enough to have a key with them. Funny how all the Idak keys are the same. With all the advancements in mower you would think they would do something about the keys.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No kidding... I'm still amazed by the fact commercial mowers have these key switches on them every single time I grab my keys.

Anyways... I definitely smell an inside job on this one.
    Someone in your neighborhood or servicing it knew the code and exactly what you had.

They let themselves or a third party in to get your stuff.
    They scoped it out, did the job and locked it back to give them big lead time on the job.

No telling how long ago they did the job... probably in broad daylight... but the lock-back prevents the ability to do as good of a job prospecting for witnesses due to the fact there is no narrow time-frame on the crime.