I got screamed at by old lady! Opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRM Lawncare, Mar 16, 2004.

1. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

Elderly lady is buying new home in golf course community. House is one story in front but is three story in back. It was the steepest freakin lot I've ever seen. . The lawn is straight off the hill and is still around 12k. I quoted $40.00 to cut due to the difficulty and terrain of the lot. I think I underquoted to start with (new and need work) but she proceeded to scream at me and tell me it was a $25.00 job at most. I thanked her and left.

Do you guys think I overbid or what?

CRM Lawncare
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares? Any customer that would react in that manner is an idiot. It's better you found out what kind of person she is now, rather than later.

If you feel you needed $40 to do the property, then that's what you needed. Let someone else do it for less and kill themselves. Personally, I don't even take properties of that nature. They're just not worth the aggravation and or danger of slippery slopes.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

$40.00 seems cheap to mow...
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

yep.......I wouldn't touch it for 40.00. Not worth it. She might can buy a baby goat for 25.00, and they will both be happy.
  5. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

isn't there medication for that?

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you will be mowing with a commercial WB or ZTR you will tear up the grass, especially if it is wet. Then just imagine how upset she would be. I would charge $125 and mow it with a push mower.
  7. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

I love it when customers bid jobs for you, I usually start making a schedule for them, when they ask what I'm doing I tell them since they are working for me (bidding jobs for me) they will need a schedule. They will either laugh and apologize or kick you off the property. You don't need customers like that.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

40 bucks? Wow, damn generous of ya IMO...
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you want $40 then you bid $40 if she says no then o-well find someone else.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, you weren't too low. It can be difficult for people to adjust to the rising cost of living. You don't know the "potential" customer's situation. She may have just gotten off the phone with her builder or real estate agent and found out she owes 20 grand more than she thought. Who knows?

In any case it's not acceptable behavior on her part at any time. You handled the situation with care and professionalism. There are a lot of people here at Lawnsite who could stand to spend a day or two hanging around with you. They would learn something.

Kudos to you!