1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I got the job!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnster, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lawnster

Lawnster LawnSite Member

I posted a few weeks ago about a big construction company putting up 250 homes over the next 5 years and they needed the yards sodded. I got the job after bidding this way: I get sod for .15/sf(500/sf per pallet) from a local sod farm(Jade Run). Delivery is $50 plus $7 pallet deposit. The smallest yard after the house is built is 7000/sf. I bid the job at $.52/sf plus $100/hr for prep work. I already own skid steer with a harley rake and fork attachment. I also have a couple helpers I pay 9.00/hr. This was the first sodding job I bid since starting my business, does it look like I came out on top?

Atlantic Lawn & Landscape
  2. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

Sound like a good job. Congrats on getting it!
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You came out like a bandit.7000 sq ft/500 sq ft is what 14 pallets for .52 per sq ft?That comes in a bit over $3500 for a days work.$9 per hour x 2,plus expenses and you'll still come in way ahead of the curve.250 homes/60 months= a bit over 40 homes per year at a minimum of $140K per year gross.Not bad at all.
    Now,with that said,in all sincerity I hope you get paid from the construction firm and you get paid at a decent time.Some construction companies love to string their subs along for as long as they can.Good luck!
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ditto on the congratulations.....
  5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations. Have you ever worked for this builder, or any builder?
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnster...Where in Milford are you doing the Work? I grew up in Woodshaven out by the high school...
  7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I partially own a family owned insulation company that has been in business since 1989. I know a little bit about construction/contractors that I'd like to share as far as getting paid on time and whatnot.

Most residential contractors like to wait until the house closes to pay their subs. I know you will be performing one of the final steps so it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's a big deal for me because the insulation rough in usually occurs in the beginning stages of construction.

Most commercial contractors that build appartments for instance pay one time per month, but keep a 10-20% retainage for 1-2 years after the job is paid for. A lot of people don't have the capitol in hand to be able to afford not having that 20% for such an extended time, so these jobs in essence are somewhat easy to get if you can afford it.

Check with the contactor and make sure you just send him invoices. He could do the same as a commercial builder and only allow payments/write checks once a month. Then again, he could have a purchase order system, where he sends you all his purchase orders for your particual service, and he calls the lot # into you, and you send him that purchase order. Note on purchase orders: You will ONLY get paid for what is on the purchase order, and the purchase orders are made before you start doing work, and will not change is the circumstance changes. So, if he adds 500 sq ft, and you have a P.O. for 7000 sq ft, you're getting paid for the 7000 sq ft. This also is something some subs are willing to take the gamble on, to have the job security of landing a big deal.

I hope this helps your understanding of contactors/construction. If ya have any questions, just ask :)
  8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

10. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Great landing that job. I'm just north of you, what builder is it?