1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I got the zero-turn. Now what?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hillibilly, Mar 21, 2006.

1. hillibilly

hillibilly LawnSite Member

I finally purchased me a zero-turn mower today, which I will not name(due to the fact that I will probably be told I made a bad choice). Anyway, I need some basic help with how to mow yards "good" with it. Like the best way to turn it, or how to manuveur(sp) it in the best way. Due you mow in a large square? Do I go to one in and "zero-turn" back in the opposite direction? I just need some good tips about mowing without messing up customers yards. lol Thanks in advance.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Tips: Do not race track the lawn. It is o.k. to do a couple of passes around the perimeter to give yourself room to turnaround. Not recommended that you do the entire lawn this way. In the beginning it may take you a while to get used to the machine. You may have to do K-turns for a while. You never want to spin on one tire. This is what tears up the turf. In addition, slow down into your turn. Never mow at full speed. I know it is fun to go full tilt and runner wide open, but most of the time you will end up with poor cut quality. You can go at a good rate of speed, but remember that to sacrifice cut quality to gain speed is to sacrifice yourself. Your work is a direct reflection of you and your business. Whether you made a bad choice or not make sure you take care of the machine. If you do not take care of it. Then it sure will not take care of you. Congrats on the new mower and good luck with it!:)
  3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Go down and turn right around and go back. This will give you the stripes. Just go out in your hard and mess around on it for an hour and you will pick up quite a bit. Just takes a little practice.
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey what's wrong with telling us about that "WalMart Zipper Z" lol just kidding
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck with the machine but I am curious as to what brand it is.
  6. hillibilly

Thanks. But what exactly is a k turn? And as far as the mower, It came down to a Cub-Cadet ZForce or Cub-Cadet RZT. I went with the later in hopes of selling it later or just keeping it without losing to much money.
  7. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

OK...You knew that someone would mess with you about the Cub....right? I have to admit, it isn't one that I would choice but there are most likely plenty of people that would tell you otherwise. Either way, don't sweat it. A good machine is important but personally, I feel that the operator is more important in the "overall" quality of the final cut. So...practice on the cub and then simply do the best job that you can on every lawn. You will get a good name and be busier than you ever imagined.
    Best of luck.:)
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

first of all take that mower back and get a walker. then i will learn you how to drive it
  9. hillibilly

Listen....all I want is some tips on how to use it. I could care less what any of you think towards my decision to buy this certian mower. I will probably get a new one next year if it really is as bad as some say. But until then I DON'T CARE.

Anyway, what is a k turn? Is it like gowing forwards then reverse then forwards or what? Also what are some tips on not scalping the grass.
  10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

Please don't take this as any kind of attack on you, but if you didn't want to take anybody's advice on the purchase then why would you want to take advice on how to operate it.. I think your going to learn the saying penny wise pound foolish..