I got these prices -- why Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, Dec 17, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

So I stopped by a Toro dealer:

04 - 27 Horsepower - 52" -- 500 Z-Master -- $8,200.00

-------------------------------------------------

Stopped by the Exmark dealer:

04 - 27 Horsepower - 52" -- Lazer Z -- $9,500.00

Both air cooled engines.
    The Toro has the new/fatter handles -- Lazer does not.
    The Toro has the new rubber discharge chute -- Lazer does not.
    The Toro has the adjustable baffle -- Lazer did not
    The Toro has the foot-assist deck lift -- Lazer (had to pay extra)
    The Toro has only one belt -- Lazer has 4
    The Toro has the bigger spindles but the Lazer had perma-grease spindles.

The only thing that Lazer has over Toro is the dealer is about 10 miles closer. Am I missing something? --- or is the Toro a better buy?
    Any comments? -- Would love for someone to tell me why I should by the Exmark Lazer Z instead of the Toro.

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

4-leaf,
    For $1300 less I'll take the Toro and drive the extra 10 miles to the dealer if you might need him someday. The Toro sounds like the better, much better, value for money in this deal. This just shows how much you pay to tell the rest of the guys I own an Exmark too.
    Good Luck
    PC

3. floridalawncare

floridalawncare LawnSite Member

yeah, exmarks can get pretty pricey for what you get. they are a good machine, but not worth what they are selling if you ask me. toro is a little more robust than exmark in the spindle area too.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not that it matters but the foot assist on the Lazer Z is standard. You should not have to pay extra for it.

BTW, I would get the Toro.

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Lazer's are overpriced, I priced a 04 Lazer z 52" 27hp Kohler for 8879.00 dealer won't go down any on price, My Toro dealer sent me the new 04 prices which i could pay for them and the 04-Turboforce Deck 52" with 27hp Kohler was 8100.00, Now if you go to the exmark Lazer HP 23 Kaw with 52" Deck thats only 7899.00,,,but for only 200 more dollars id get the Toro with the 27hp Kohler and adjustable deck, better spindles larger arm's which i love when i demoed the 28hp EFI this yr, JMPO.....Mark's Mowing Service

family 181.jpg

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a price on paper for the Toro and take it to the Lazer dealer and ask how close can you get. This time of year he might give you a good price. All it will cost you is a little time.

7. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

As most of us know that Toro has recently purcased ex-mark. Maybe they are keeping the ex-mark price's higher to recoup there purchase. ]
    By the way they are both good machines. I have had both brands and they both cut nice. But like everyone else said buy the Toro and save the money.
    Good Luck
    Mike

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It may be that Toro is riding on everyone's loyalty to Exmark. It's the old price and demand thing. If nobody was buying Exmarks, they would be cheap. He is my advice, try a Hustler. Cheaper than both the Toro & Exmark and really a mich better machine. I own a bunch of Exmarks and they are great. Bought a new Super Z and it is better. It is built better, more comfortable, and way faster. In the past, I never gave Hustler a 2nd look. Now, I can say... I won't buy anything but one in the future. These are great machines.

27hp 60" Super Z (15 mph ground speed) 7995.00 tag price

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Demo a Hustler. Toughest mower on the market and the cut quality is awesome. You'll save a lot of cash and have a better mower. The cut quality on my Hustler Z is as good or better than Exmark or Toro.

10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

At 75" long, the Hustler Z is the most compact in its class. I've got the 60" deck Z and love it.