I got this email from a potential customer today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nepatsfan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

"I currently have lawn service (mowing, cleanups) but am not 100% happy with my provider. I am looking for a new landscaping company to do seasonal and weekly maintenance but also I am looking for cleanup and weeding of the beds around my house as soon as possible. I keep meaning to get to it but I just can't. Please let me know if you can give me an estimate on that and your other annual services. By email only please, no phone calls. Thanks!"

Does this seem like a pita customer or what? Not 100% happy currently....fine I get it but email only please, no phone calls. Whats up with that? I at least like to discuss the work being done in person. This is one of those people that has pita written all over it to me. Anyone else think so? I don't have the patience. Its right in a neighborhood we are already in and its probably a $750,000 home. Haven't looked yet but low end homes in that area are 600. I just dont need any headaches. We have enough going on. I really don't remember anyone ever emailing me before with that kind of demand. Its kind of small but I always look for these little hints to see what I'm up against. Am I reading too much into this?

2. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

sounds more like a scam to me.

3. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 LawnSite Member

I had a guy insist that I only get an estimate to him by fax. I couldn't drop it off, email it, or call about it. Against my gut instinct I agreed and got the job. What a mistake!! I had to go back twice because he "just wasn't satisfied with my work to the point where he could pay me." I've NEVER had one complaint about any work I've Ever done. I just broke even on that job.

4. nepatsfan

Not sure about it being a scam, she gave the address and her phone number and it matched up. I force people to give their phone number on my website or it wont let you email. You can give a fake number but you have to put one in. I know the neighborhood too.

5. nepatsfan

Thats what I'm afraid of. I would not start work until I at least had a description over the phone. This lady will definitely have a contract if we do anything for her. If a regular customer called and asked to have beds weeded I would just send a couple guys to do it and send them a bill. I would not do that in this instance.

6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer like that. He was a deaf man, and phones dont work too well for him.

7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

well, you could email back I want to meet you in person before I work on your lawn. maybe there is a odd reason why they don't want to be called.

8. nepatsfan

I emailed back and we set up an appointment to meet. Maybe she was deaf??? Maybe she just couldn't talk on the phone, but she was ok with meeting so I was probably just reading into it too much. I try to screen the pita customers and tire kickers before I go over and waste time. I think I am about done with residential. It can be a pita.

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands LawnSite Member

funny i got the exact same email about 10 minutes ago

10. nepatsfan

LOL...take her.