I got way too hot today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by zackvbra, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

i spend plenty of weeks working half days or shorter some times. i've had days where i've started at 8am and finished at 10am because it got that hot, that quickly. plus as i said. i'm not willing to risk my health for work or money. so while there might be some guys i know who will work in some of the hot temps, i won't.

i know my buddy and his guys do. there don't take days off or work shorter days because of the heat. hell they work in the rain and lightening too.[/QUOTE]

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I have way too much work to take days like that. Lol.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Mowed my own 1/2 A lawn yesterday, 93 F. Drank a few sips. Then on the Drive to mow 1 A lawn I drank a quart of water. Then Drank a quart of water while doing that lawn. Then on my way to do 1/3 A lawn I drank another quart.

I was shot after that third lawn.

Even used the AC when I was driving.

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, on the back on the neck does the trick for me. And as someone already said, the night before tank up on fluids!:drinkup:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'd be in trouble down here brother. Yesterday I had the same weather conditions. Started with 1/4 acre, went to 2 acre, then another 1/4 acre, then 5/8 acre, then 3/8 acre and finished up with another 5/8 acre. I used every tool and mower on my trailer so it wasn't like I was riding around on the mower all day.

6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

First mistake was not starting earlier then normal.

I'm 59 YO. You?

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not significantly younger... 55. Osteoarthritis in both knees and hips. Torn meniscus in my right knee. Spinal stenosis in L5 to S1 that requires regular spinal epidurals. Ruptured and bulging discs. :laugh:

8. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys saying gatorade is what you need, have a 1 cm kidney stone, then tell me what you need, I already had a low sodium diet, i already didn't drink coffee or tea, which helps build kidney stones, also being dehydrated will help a lot. i already drank a gallon of water a day, now i stepped it up to 2-3 gallons a day. depending on what i do for work that day. also i eat a very healthy diet, very little mayonnaise, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, no ground beef, i'll steak a few times a month, i usually eat chicken once a week, grilled fish once a week, no cheese, very little dairy, that is bad for you, little juice, the only good juice is made by a company named simply orange i believe. its actually real juice, not from concentrate like other juices. but it is high in sugar. 99% of the time water is the answer, i do drink a few beers on occasion, but not if i plan on working the next day, because then you sweat even more. Im going to mount a 4-5 gallon water cooler on my trailer, vs. buying a 2-3 gallons a day at a gas station. which not only cost money, but it cost time, although sometimes i do need gas for the mower too, so its not wasted. and as for today it hit almost 90, i was done by 10, and stayed inside and took a nap until about 2 or 3 and continued working until 8.

9. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

The humidity down here lately has been UNREAL.

10. die4irish

die4irish LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I dont turn on the ac till I'm on my way home. to much for the body to go in and out of extreme temperatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.