I gotta Know?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, May 8, 2008.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

It rained all night and most of the morning. So I decide to go get a few done and it is soaking wet. How in the world do you guys cut wet grass and make look decent. What are some tricks you use?

I bag everything and the ferris just sucks when its wet. I really do not want to hear well you should not cut when its wet out. If I waited until the right conditions I would be bailing hay everyday.

So again it rained all night, they are wet, full of nitrogen, and they are high. What do you do to make them look good?
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

side disharge and double cut
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

cut the thin yards and wait until its not raining to do the thick ones. either that or go extra slow and double cut.
  4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 words fer-ya, Exmark Ultracut :usflag:
  5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Get a 31hp Walker and you won't have to worry about it.
  6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

It all goes back to cutting the lawn at the right height the week before. I see some guys cutting at 3 3/4. If you cut at that height one week then try to cut that lawn when it is wet the next week, good luck. But it you cut at under 3 in the spring you should be able to double cut that lawn wet and it should come out decent. The summer will be different since cutting under 3 is not a good idea.
  7. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

cut the lawn at a high setting then lower it to what you are used to in other words double cut and do not bag or mulch just side discharge you can disperse the clippings with a blower to make it look good.:)
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

this is very true. I am past that I have now moved to my 3 and 3/4 I started off at 2.75 and moved up .25 as needed but now its crunch time and it is raining again.

I also have a pou nd the lawn guy who loves to put to much fert on.
  9. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

yeah i would love to kick his ass
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

for me the key to cutting wet is keeping it off the sidewalks and driveways. raise the height and discharge away from hardscape and house . Double cut where needed but keep mowing . clean deck after every lawn if necessary. I just scrape it onto the trailer and bag it at the end of the day or when it builds up too much.