i guess i got scammed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mxb401, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mxb401

mxb401 LawnSite Member

ive been cutting w/ an old push lawnboy for a while...great workout...but just takes too long. i really needed to buy a new mower, but since im still in school i just cant see spending top dollar.
    so i bought a Toro Z420 Timecutter 2006 from a guy used, and it i brought it home the back left wheel fell off. (yeah really excited)
    the axle is all chewed up and the guy is long gone, i tried to tap the axle and get a longer bolt but it didn't hold. the hub and the axle just aren't getting a tight connection....so it looks like im stuck (see picture).

[​IMG]

i could really use some help...

anyone have this part laying around that i could buy??
    is there anyway i can repair just the axle?? i saw online that they sell the hydro assembly for about $800 at this website:
    OEM Parts

but for 800 does that include the entire LH assembly or just the axle and i gotta rebuild the whole darn thing??
    any help you guys/gals can give i would appreciate it

2. mxb401

mxb401 LawnSite Member

i guess i should add:
    model no:74327

and the serial no 260005296

sorry...new at this whole thing...

3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You're best bet is to find a local dealer with new parts and replace it from them. Figure out what tools you need ahead of time, so you don't get too frustrated.

Once it's fixed, check regularly and lubricate often so that the same damage doesn't happen to you.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to say but there's no guessing on this one.....

You can buy just the axle but it comes as a updated/conversion kit, You can purchase directly from Toro online;

http://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...=30088&PageId=421889&IllustrationId=373520#45

Look around on the hydro cases for a model/serial number for the company that built it, You may be able to find just the axle without being a kit form cheaper......

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You could take to machine shop and have him fab you a sleeve that fits cleaned up axle and old hub.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I may get some flack for saying this but just put the hub back on as best as you can and then weld it onto the axle. The axle is trash at this point and I bet the hub is as well. Just weld it on until you can get the money and parts to do it right

7. cgaengineer

No problem with this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Weld it up, drill it, and tap it. Or have a machine shop do it. Defintely cheaper than 800
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

No flack here....the grass won't know the difference...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

Don't know why I didn't think of it actually...I've welded a crank on a Honda car that sheared a key and messed up the crank...sold that sucker fast!
    Posted via Mobile Device