I guess I treated this customer right

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

A good customer of mine passed and willed me everything. I was shocked , still am. I Have had this woman as a customer for 23 years , I turned on her sprinkler in april . She passed at the end of may. I would sit and talk to her when I was there , I knew she didnt have any family . I had a knock at my door last friday , it was her attorney . He told me she had passed and that she willed me her entire estate , well when he told me the estimated amount my wife just about passed out. As of now my 2 kids have college paid for , I have a stock portfolio ,rather large , and 2 more houses and a caddy . Now I have to figure out weather I still want to work .

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you should still work. Im guessing part of the reason she left it to you is because she appreciated your work ethic and company.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Holy ****!!!! Maybe I need to be a little nicer to mine. Wait, is today April Fools Day? No, I guess not. Looks like you did something right over the years. Good for you. :)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Always a good thing to take a little time out of your day to communicate with your clients.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, sometimes I leave the job, after a bit of a chin wag, and wonder if it counted as quality time for the customer.

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats!!! How much $$$$ are we talking about here?

7. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations. What a relief not to have to worry about college expenses. With the two houses that also gives you some options(rent, lease with option, or just outright sell). Lot of good decisions coming your way. Take your time with them and get advice from people you trust.
    As far as work or retire? Take your time with that decision as well. You might see that you get a new outlook on work. You now have the freedom to pick and choose the type of work you wish to do. I am currently looking at making a move from doing any type of maintenance(weekly, bimonthly) to only taking care of weeklies with full landscape management needs. In other words no more dust patches and crap properties. Look at your customers and see what direction you want to go. You can always retire later. Will be harder to start back up if you change you mind later.
    Well again congrats.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Two extra houses. A Caddy. All you need are a dozen girls to fill the houses, and you can be a Mac Daddy!

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Reminds me of some threds where LOCS said they dont have time to deal with old people

10. How much for the caddy ? ;)