I guess I'll be using a 21" tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XterraJohn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

The belt on my 2007 Toro 36" is cut almost all the way through. The rest of the belt looks basicly new, it just looks like a a clean cut about 90% through the belt. Apparently, this mower is SO SPECIAL that none of the local dealers stock the deck belt for it, and even the Toro warehouse has it backordered...

:hammerhead:

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Try Richardson Saw, Plano Power, Eds Lawn or Longhorn Lawn.

I'm sure one of them have it.

Or see if a dealership can give you a loaner machine until the belt comes in. Contact the shop you bought our mower from, they should.

3. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

i always have spare belts for all my machines, just for that reason, a lil upfront cost, but well worth it when you need em

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I used to have a 36 inch toro walk behind - granted it was not a 2007 - but it ate a belt one day and I was able to find a replacement real easy at a auto parts store.

Good luck to you.

5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on Napa. As long as it is under about 90", they should have it in stock.

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Not to mention it should be a hell of a lot cheaper then the dealer.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

spare belt-look into it

9. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Well, the dealer called me just a few minutes after I posted. The service tech told me that his parts guy found a kevlar belt that was made by someone other than Toro but was compatible. So, it looks like they came through for me and I should be all set.

It all started when I went to take the blades off to sharpen then like I've done several times before. One of the nuts turned about a half-turn then locked up. The blade was loose, but I couldn't get the nut to turn either way. I ground the nut off with a grinder and could then see that the threads under the nut had gotten mangled somehow and that was causing it to lock up.

While I was doing all of this I looked up and noticed that the belt was almost completely in two.

Interestingly, my dealer apparently doesn't have loaners, and I couldn't find anyone who even rents large mowers in this area? :confused:

10. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

I assume you are talking about the drive belts if so and it has the two grove belt if it splits it will still work i have an 85 toro belt drive. when I bought it on both sides the belt was split all the way down the center and it ran no problem(basically looked like it had 2 seperate belts instead of one.) I replaced those belts and got spares and havent had an issue since. If it is split top to bottom though better get it replaced even though sometimes they will hold up a while with that split ( I ran my everride all fall with a split like that on the deck belt, just made sure to have a spare with me in case it went.)