1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I had a REAL BAD DAY!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by michindi, Jun 22, 2004.

1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

I was mowing the back yard of a customer and I went by this huge juck bush pile and nothing happened. Then I got ever closer the second time around and BOOM. I was attacked by a swarm of bees.... Total of stings was about 12 including 2 right in the lip. And Im still in alot of pain right now. I went to the ER and they gave me a vik. and 3 shots and sent me on my way.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

OUCH! I feel your pain. Though, I'm highly allregic, so I would have been in the hospital a little longer. Hornets got me a few years back, chased me INTO the clients house, lol, and got me some more. My throat swelled up so fast, thankfully, the home-owner had some benadril, and it saved my life.
  3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

How can you possibly be in this business if you're allergic to bee stings? Aren't you risking your very life each time you start the mower?

I've been stung once in 18 months of doing this. My employee has worked for me for 3.5 months and he's been stung once.

I would just assume you're gonna get stung sooner or later in this industry.

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely get stung by bees or hornets I dunno why but dang that can be scary. When I was younger I remember chasing a ball into some brush and musta stumbled upon a nest and swarmed them up. Its not so much the stings at first its these dang bees jus swarming all over you, and of course you go running with your arms swinging.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i am highly allergic too. it sucks, i CAN NOT get stung or else im off to the hospital. lastyear i was trimming a bush with a nest in it (didnt know) and i dropped the hedge trimmer and took off running, but.... the trimmer got cought in my finger and tore 1/3 of the top part of my finger off. but its all healed now, just my nuckles are scared for life.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I've been stung more than I care to remember. I was stung so much as a child by wasps, I had the poison built up in my system, and each sting I became more and more affected. Now, one wasp can make me go into anaphylactic shock. I am supposed to carry shots with me, but I just carry benadryl. (Which I need to get some more of tomorrow)
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I know how you feel, If I get stung i run for the bee kit or the nerest hosp. Only used it once .............
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have not been stung this season..........................yet.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last season i went over a nest that was underneath an old piece of 4x4.I noticed the swarm ditched my mower and ran.They got me about 6 times but it could have been a lot worse.
  10. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

i like busting up bees and hornets and wasp with my trimmer, the husq does quite a job, but sometime i get carried away and try to chop them on the ground, and so i put a line in the grass, oops. its also fun swinging at them with a shovel, they make a *ping* sound. last time i was stung was when i was probably 11, and it was twice in the eyelid by two yellow jackets.