1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I had a very big meeting yesterday.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Yes indeedy, it was between my Cat and a 245 Massey Ferguson tractor.

I backed into it's front counterweight saddle, full throttle, 7 mp/h, with the rear engine door, I hit that tractor so f@%^ing hard, I put 2 huge dents in my rear door, and the door squeals like a damn eagle when I check the oil every morning. I must have buggerd the hinges real bad.

Mother of God. That was the hardest impact I have ever had with any skid steer, and in reverse.
    The farmer said I hit his tractor so hard, it rolled back a foot, this was with a loaded Loewen Welding feed mixer trailer, empty weight of these trailers is almost 6 tons.

The story of how it happens was:

I was scraping mud off the driveway, and to keep my neck from twisting and pulling a muscle, I used the rear view mirror. Bad idea.
    I was backing up (balls out naturally) and I glanced down just for a second to keep my bearings straight, next thing I knew, the tractor came around the corner, and stopped, thinking I was going to stop, he waited for me. Another bad idea.

I yell out, "What the bloody f#%$ was that!?!" I turn my head around, and the farmer is smiling at me. Jack ass.

So we both apologize (I'm laughing inside though) and I put the plug back into my back up alarm and start using my head. Dumb ass. :laugh:
  2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, wow! that sucks!

How noticeable are the dents?
  3. bobcat_ron

REALLY noticeable.

I have tarnished my Kitty's image.
  4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I got to get one burn in tonight I havent had a good day....

You didnt tarnish it anymore than it already was! LOL sorry I just had to get one in one somebody, I was hoping ksss but he didnt give me much to work with..

Could we get some pics?
  5. DougW

DougW LawnSite Member

I work on Bobcats for a living. Rarely do I see a machine with a straight rear door. It sounds like you take care of your machine though. Checking the oil every morning; I salute you for that. Keep it greased and wash under the cab regularly as well. I'm not familiar with the Cat demographic, but I have a hell of a time getting people to realise how important it is to take care of these compact loaders. I did a service call on a solid tire 300 today that looked like it hadn't been greased in 200 hours. The undercab area was compacted with wood mulch/dust. A fire waiting to happen...
  6. bobcat_ron

This Perkins engine has an odd oil dipstick, the oil should be checked when the engine is warm, the cold level is a 1/4" of an inch under the "low" oil mark, if I add oil, and it doesn't seem to come up, I even thought I had premature Perkins engine death syndrome, but the Finning Service manager said to check it when it is warm. Whatever.

There is a bright side to this now, it's much easier to keep the rear door open on a windy day now!
  7. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to replace the door? It would drive me nuts not to.
  8. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

doug are you from the ny area?
  9. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

See Ron If you had not been playing with yourself this would have never happened:laugh:

They fellow that used to run our skid steer backed into the 25 ton excavator oneday hauling ass in reverse after my boss tried to cut behind him real quick in the excavator. Hit so hard it moved the excavator an inch or two. But with takeuchi's being built like tanks it only put a small 6 long "x 1" wide dent in the rear of the door.

but to make you feel better I'll show you how I screwed up today... but we had the mini ex to yank it out.

It was not my fault... the dirt should have not been that wet!
  10. DougW

DougW LawnSite Member

I work with Bobcat of the Wiregrass. Dothan, AL