I had low pressure but now.....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CRUZMISL, Jul 24, 2005.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

I finally installed my Davey booster system. What a HUGE difference. Install was simple and the pump is very quiet. I probably could have gotten away a bit cheaper but this unit is self contained and an easy job for the average person.

I have the pressure reducer set to 20psi and it boosts the output pressure to 65psi. My household pressure when running my sprinklers is 48psi. I never had that when everything was off!

As far as sprinkler performance I think I need to change/adjust the nozzles on my PGP's. They shoot at least 30% farther and I'm watering the street :) Can I use the same nozzles and reduce distance with the screw? Right now the adjustment screws are not interfering with the stream.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll try and snap some photos later on if the weather improves.

J.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd change the nozzles. Fuzzing them up screws up the precipitation rate.

I just browsed all over the hunter site, and I couldn't find the nozzle chart...But I'm sure its there somewhere.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

What???? Changing the nozzle will change the precipitation rate more than 'fuzzing'. Check your formulas to see. Diffusing the spray will not change the precipitation significantly because the rate is calculated over a total area. And if the precip rate is changed, then the application time can be increased or decreased accordingly. Hunter doesn't recommend diffusing the radius much, but 20% would be the maximum that I would try.

Which way would you go with a nozzle change? If you go up, you change the flow in the piping and decreasing the under head pressure. If you go down, you change the flow in the piping and the under head pressure increases resulting in fogging and wind drift. I would leave the nozzles alone and run the diffusing screw in until I was satisfied with the throw, and let it go.

Jerry

4. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Jerry, that was my thinking. I'm running #5 or 6 nozzles now so we'll see how things go.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Heres my thought, The original nozzle was installed with what, 30 psi in mind? Its now seeing 65 psi. The precipitation rate is obviously off now. The whole system needs to be renozzled to match the original GPM that it used to output at this new pressure.

6. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Any suggestions as to what nozzle size I should try?