I had to kill my doubles setup today....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Nov 19, 2005.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

while finishing up some last mowing today I just couldn't stand it any more.

I have been running doubles...medium lift solid foil and a standard gator and with the dry conditions the blowout has been horrible and the dust in these dry conditions has been just awful. I have had to wear a dust mask.

so I dropped the medium lift and ran with the gator. it made a big difference. better mulching (actually side discharge) and less blow out.

it looks like the ole gators for me for the rest of the season.........

GEO :)
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

When I mulch its just high liftmulch blades and the one mower that I sd with its what the factory put on. I get confused as what blades work best in different conditions. I just use the same setup all year long, and always get the same result.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What you need is about 9" of snow to cut down on that dust a little. You won't be able to mow as fast and I know you like to go fast :D but the dust will be gone :waving:
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In the event you ever try doubles ever again, try a no-gator approach.

I've never been able to bear using them in any way but singles on side discharge.
    The teeth just disturb too much air.

I can't even stand them on the lesco with the mulch kit installed for chopping leaves... and the lesco has an anti-blowout lip. The Gators actually create more blowout than 3" wide highlifts.
  5. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

LOL Geo I actually was wearing my scott motorcycle goggles because of the same thing.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped using double Gators for the same reason 2 years ago. I can't really tell a difference in regards to how well my Dixie mulches leaves.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Tried the gators........hated them
    Tried the high lifts...........too much blow out.
    Used the wavy blade when mulching and aside from just a little blow out they seem to work best for me. Haven't bagged a thing all year.:blob3: