I hate cicadas!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Timbo, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

Any suggestions on how to deal with cicadas? I am not afraid of bugs by any means but this is ridiculous. There is an acre 1/2 property I do and the cicadas are relentless. They don't bite or sting but they land all over me. Constantly! I am at this property for about an hour or so and I have anywhere between 80 - 100 land on me and fly in my face. Those little communists with their red eyes made me mow in a sweatshirt, jeans, and gloves in 90 degree heat. I hate them! Thinking about wearing some sort of bee mask or something. Any thoughts??

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

HA!I laugh at your cicadas!
    Yesterday,while mowing a river home,it became apparent that the willow flies had hatched.A BIG hatch.10's of thousands and they apparantly love the vibration of running engines.
    I had em in my ears,up my shorts,down my shirt,in my nose,all over my safety glasses,the mower,in my hair(what little is left).
    Finally had to break out a dust mask just so I could breath without snorting a fly.I've got a mesh bug suit that would have been perfect,but I had left it home.
    Thinking about charging a hazard fee for that one.j/k

3. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

Willow flies are obviously communists too.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I wish I had you guys bug problems.

I'd fish 24/7 'till they were gone!

HOOKEM DANO!!!

GEO :D

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

They HURT the fishing actually.The fish gourge themselves and aren't hungry.
    The one's that are caught have willow flies sticking to the inside of their mouths.
    Thinking of adding a "Willow Fly Cleanup" to my list of services.
    PS.They mulch rather nicely.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

nick--ever hear of the phrase "chum the waters"?

GEO :confused:

7. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I saw something pretty crazy the other day, I stopped over to talk to a buddy while he was sawing up a tree,And he said wanned to see something crazy ? I said go for it ! While I was talking to him there were a few of those critters buzzing around then he fired up his Stihl chain saw and in less than a minute he was covered by them,He said he thinks the frequency of the saw is the same as their mate ing call,Wish I had a video camera,It was nuts! Anyone notice it with Stihl power tools?

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I thought Pennsylvania was supposed to have them? So far, there hasn't been any around. I'm hoping they don't hit this part of PA.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They will be gone soon for another 17 years. Cicadas are around every summer, you can hear them winding up and singing all summer long here. The brood X cicada (the one with the red eyes) that you are referring to is a little different from your run of the mill cicada. They come out of the ground in massive numbers once every 17 years to do their "business" for 6 weeks. Then the new cicadas burrow back into the ground and wait another 17 years to start the cycle all over again.

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Still waiting for them up here. Field & Stream had an article about the Bass fishing being excellent through the cicada out brake, because of the "chumming".