I Hate Competition!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Feb 20, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i live in a small town in minnesota, i've been doing this since i was about 10. i'd drive my lawn mower around town and cut for the grandparents.

today i saw a ad in the local paper advertising for lawns:town homes, apartments,single family homes.

as the town gropes i see more competition all the time driving around their old trucks and one walk behind units.

it seems everyone and their brother wants to get in this business. it seems it's more of the lower income people starting up in the lawn business.

i'm just a little worried that they will undercut my prices and take away some of my prize lawns that took me 10 years to get looking as good as they do. i basically have all the commercial business in town and take great pride in that.

i almost feel as if this is my territory. i feel myself traveling greater distances to be getting paid more. since all the scrubs are cutting lawn in my town

my point is i hate hate hate the guyz that drive around in their old trucks with their belt walk behind that stare at me like...i'm going to steal your work :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

2. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

You should feel as if it is your territory, and guard it with everything.

The majority of the business may be yours, but it is yours to lose to. I would think that if you are doing things right your customers will stay with you....

3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

When you find out they are out visiting your customers, tell your customers to ask for references and proof of Insurance prior to accepting their bid, this will deter much of your competion. Also your customers will realize that you have been providing a quality, and professional service.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Been there! Same idea and starting point as you and I am in a small NW Iowa town. About 5 years we had the same problem. Two guys, older semi retired, mowing for $ 5 - 7 a lawn. Yes, they took some good customers away.

Today, I am happy to say we those clients back b/c of many reasons.
    1. We did everything.
    A. Mow, spray, fert, snow removal, pruning bushes, trimming trees, ect.

2. We even gained there commercial clients
    A. Businesses asked for a bid, I placed what I needed and received the work. I asked them if there was a problem etc, all of them said flat out - NOT PROFESSIONAL!

3. These guys limit themselves to mowing. Old stuff, dink around for 2 hours for $20.00 where as we are in and out in 15 - 20 minutes for $20.00.

So, yes you may take hit, but keep things looking great (which I imagine you do), Look PROFESSIONAL and be curtious. Maybe these guys offer mowing only and your doing all the other service work, then use that to your advantage!

5. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just got in, went driving around town checking to see how many of the nice coroplast signs I put out friday were still there, well we are 1 for 10 doesn't that say something nice about my competion. I have never stole anybody's signs why does this business have to be so cut throat.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

wow that takes guts. that's something i wouldn't do. i'd go baits if i ever cought any one stealing anything of mine. :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you're doomed

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Black Sunday

9. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I lost some signs also bad thing is i put it out to where it was on a corner by itself not in a front yard or blocking any view.

10. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Gedd so I am doomed.