I hate dealers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Follow up to 36 encore vs mini fastrak

Stopped by exmark dealer today and aks for a walk behind, they laughed. Ever dealer want to put you into a 6000 dollar zero turn. I am paying cash and this is a part time investment. How does a person get started for less money and invest.

they all told me that a belt drive walk behind was a waste of money and that a 36 would not ever pull a velke. What to do, maybe keep my craftsman.

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Order A quik 36 you deal directly with the man @ better

3. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

bstroman- Those dealers are so wrong to tell you that a 36 would not ever pull a Velke. Before the Velke, all they had to sell you was a heavier sit down sulky for belt drives. Even the OEM's advertised them and many still do. I've had a Sarlo mower pull me around on a Velke. A Sarlo mower is a small (I think 30") mower with bicycle tires driven by a little 2 inch tread wheel against the tires. See www.wrightmfg.com for the Velke mowers optimized to be used with Velke sulkies.

JV

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A walk behind will work fine and pull a sulky but not sure about a 36. I think you may be a little underpowered. I have two Toro 52" 17hp kaw w/hydro and they pull just fine and cut great. Whatever you buy make sure its a V-twin Kaw. Kohler is on alot of brands and there good engines but just about all of them are single cyl. and bog down alot more than V-twins do.

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" Exmark Belt Drive and I use a velkie with it. There are several other LCOs in my area that have 36" Exmark Hydros and they use Velkies as well. I have no idea where they got that from, but we do not have a problem with walkbehinds and velkies. Tell them what you want and buy it.

6. Encore Mfg.

Encore Mfg. LawnSite Member

I have always thought that people who just start out definitely need to watch their costs and a commercial walk behind allows you to build your business and grow into larger more productive equipment.

A walk w/ a riding or standing attachment give you two mowers in one w/ the pull of a pin; without the attachment you have one of the best trim mowers in the industry, with the attachment you are able to ride at 5 mph and quickly mow down the wide open areas. Versatility, productivity, all in an economic mower.

I'd love to sell you one of our many models of riders, but it may not be the best fit for you now. Get a 36" walk, make some money, and then you can look for one of our riders when you are ready for it!

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me our distributor, Texas Outdoor Power Equipment, a call....512-563-2998 or here at the factory....800-267-4255! We'd be glad to help!

7. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I hear that...

I went into a dealer in my town once, "Hello, I'm looking for around a 36 inch walk behind mower, do you carry those?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Where are they?"

Him: "Outside."

Me: "Okay, thank you." *gets in truck and drives away*

The other dealer in my town was alright, but they didn't evern carry walk behinds...WTF? :dizzy:

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Avoid the middle man and get a Quick 36. Their prices are great and their support and machine is even better! Get a Samurai with 16 Kawi...it will pull any dang thing you want.

10. Prime Cut Lawns LLC

Prime Cut Lawns LLC LawnSite Member

My Quick 36 yanks me all over the yard...No problem!