I hate electricians pretending to be irrigators!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 6, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Found this one today. Five 2-1/2" electrical conduits installed about 1-1/2 years ago and apparently the electricians contracted to do the work hit our lateral line and then pretended to know how to repair it permanently. The top conduit settled onto our pipe and smashed it, causing a leak that went undetected until water started coming up through the sidewalk nearby. Had to also call our our head electrician to check the bottom side of the top conduit because the water leak stream cut into it. :)

Houston Zone A-5 Lateral Leak 10-6-06 IV-01.jpg

Houston Zone A-5 Lateral Leak 10-6-06 IV-02.jpg

Houston Zone A-5 Lateral Leak 10-6-06 IV-03.jpg

Houston Zone A-5 Lateral Leak 10-6-06 IV-04.jpg

2. I'm guessing they hate us irrigators pretending to be electricians at times also....

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. I installed a pump relay earlier this summer. Probably should have had an electrician, but oh well. It installed just fine. Now where is a little smilie icon with fried hair when you need one.

4. PurpHaze

Guess I should have clarified it a little that I was referring to outside contractors. Our district electricians are great guys who help out any way they can. If I have an electrical problem I have to call them because of the separation of job duties. However, if it's something simple like reconnecting the power to a controller I've just changed out then I do the connection. They mark the inside lids of all our controllers with the electrical panel and circuit number where the power can be shut off and we handle it from there. If new power has to be run to a new controller location then we often work together to get the job done. We'll trench and then help them lay/backfill conduit and pull the wiring to the new location.

If they're working on a project and run into any of our lines then they call us.

5. PurpHaze

LOL... Probably right next to the icon of a fried pump relay? :laugh:

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Out here in WA, we can't do any permanent wiring, We can mount and install the pump relay, wire it to the pump, and wire all but one wire from the 110/220, but have to have an electrician or the client make the final connection.

I've hardwired timers, and had the client twist on the last wire nut.

Goofy.

That said, That class pipe has a seriously thin wall if a conduit sitting on it eroded through it.

7. PurpHaze

It's CL 200, which with our typically sandy soils, we use almost exclusively. I've also seen similar situations with SCH 40 pipe in the past.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we also use pr200 for almost all of our installs. it's standard here.

9. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

most electricians have no clue on how a 110/230 pump could operate from a 24v source, I simply explain to them I will supply the relay which are hard to find at electrical supply houses and usually out of stock items.

It also cracks me up when an electrical contractor shows up on site to run underground with rented walk behind trenchers and it takes them two days when they can rent a ride on and get the same job done in half a day.

10. PurpHaze

Some companies will have "underground" crews that come in and install the conduit. Then the electricians will come in behind them, pull the wiring and make the connections. Some guys are just better than others. :)