I hate fabric, but

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, May 31, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I know I need to use it every now and then. Most of the fabrics have a weave type pattern that roots can grow into, or such as suckers from trees poking through.

I've looked around, and found a fabric from DuPont. It has more of a "fiberglass" type look and weave to it. It seems like it would be the best for not letting weeds root into it, and not letting anything poke through. To me it's the best barrier on the market. I did a water test on it too, and found that most of the water did run off it, but, it is permeable and allows some moisture to penetrate unlike plastic weed barrier.

My only question is, Lowe's is the only place that carries it. Is there a comparable product out there that you guys have used. I'm looking to buy bulk but I'm not going to pay retail unless I have too.

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have used the fabric from dupont you are talking about and I wasnt all that impressed. My local landscape supplier carries good stuff and when I do have to use it, I just get it from them for a much better price than Lowes. I dont know, the stuff from Dupont might end up lasting a while but I like the thicker stuff. I've seen some stuff similiar to what I use on landscapes we repaired or whatever this year and the fabric is in good condition and its been close to 10 years as far as the customer knows.

3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Try geo-textile fabric.

4. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Typar 20 year is allittle thicker than the Dupont. only use it under rock never mulch.

5. White Gardens

I agree, never under mulch. One of DuPonts offerings was a 4 x 100 with brown color. It had a 25 year warranty and was thick to me. It was the pro stuff.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it out.

6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Geotextile is a generic, non-specific term. There are woven geotextiles, felted geotextiles, etc.. It's simply a designation telling how the product is to be used; earth (geo) textile (fabric). There are biodegradable varieties, permanent varieties, UV-stabilized varieties, and so much more? There are specific varieties for specific applications.

7. White Gardens

Thanks Kate, I figured there is a lot of different varieties in there. I see the same name given to geo fabric for retaining walls, ect.

I need to do more research to make sure I'm putting the right stuff down.