I hate fences

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

New house on a postage sized lot. No yard yet, just rocky unprepped ground.

We do a bid for a 3 zone system, 2 rotors 1 spray. Very small, and cheap. A day project.

I get there today and they had a fence built since the bid went in. It made about half of the property unreachable by our 410, so we had to hand dig.

Not sure if we should just suck it up and take the loss of profit (1 day job will now be 1.5 days), or if we should adjust the bid?

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You should have made them tear the fence down. :rolleyes:

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

dont eat it and add to all future bids a line like
    "any changes to the property such as installation of fences, hedges ... may cause repricing of services."

4. This is why I own four trenchers...

5. Dirty Water

Yeah, we have a 410 and a 3500. I used the 410. Usually it works ok even in fenced yards, but they put in tiny gates, and the 410 needs 50" to get by.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Defiantly inform the customer and charge for the
    x-tra work involved. They should have said something to you about a fence going in.

7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why we ask questions like "will there be a pool, patio, deck, etc.?" "Will there be a fence? Size of gates, location of gates?"

You can try and get the extra out of them. All depends on how you handle the situation. You get to demanding and they may tell you to 'pound sand'.

Another one to put in the book of future references, huh?

8. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

speaking from a home owners perspective ( and one who is currently dealing with a pool builders sub contractors)...

I'll bet a $1 the fence contractor screwed up the timing of the fence install and the home owner was as surprised as you to see the fence go up when it did.

But, even I agree. You need to be paid for time lost.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

In some ways its like changing the plot plan that you originally bid on. What if they'd had a hardscape contractor come in and put some sidewalks across the areas you need to trench through? It might not change where the sprinkler heads are to be installed but it now means at least one bore to get to the other side. I like PRECISION's idea about having a disclaimer in the bid sheet about any changes occurring prior to installation that might affect things.

10. Dirty Water

I can trench through hardscape Hayes, its a bumpy ride though.

:laugh: