I hate firing people! Have to vent.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Jun 13, 2011.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have this guy who has been with me for basically 2 seasons now and he's always shown up but he is super slow and usually misses the obvious things like the 6" tall grass around a well cap right in the middle of a lawn. He's been told to pick up the pace, quite missing things loose the attitude etc. but the worst thing is he's very unappreciative and is always in a grumpy mood bringing down the rest of the crew. This is the "seizure" guy I wrote about a few months ago, he had a seizure while doing a clean up and I prevented him from falling off a 200ft cliff. Never heard a thanks or anything from that, I bought him lunch a couple times cuz he was depressed about his on again, off again girlfriend, never heard a thanks from that, he's just that type of person but no one can stand him anymore. It took him just under 2 hours to do what took my two other guys about 15 minutes each to do...rake out clippings from a few very small flower beds after pruning. Then when confronted by me as to why its taking him forever he gets a huge attitude with me, yeah its time for him to go. Sorry for the rant.

2. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it has to be done. He will probably be wondering why? People like that are generally clueless to why they are being let go. He will probably blame you one way or another.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

He sounds like he is possibly clinically depressed?

4. nobagger

from Pa

I think it has to. After seeing how these newer people work without him reenforces what Ive always known, he's costing me money instead of making me money! Last year I laid him off and we actually got home about .5 to 1.5 hours sooner without him.

5. nobagger

from Pa

I don't know but Ive tried joking around with him, giving him more responsibility and ......nothing but the same ol' ho hum attitude.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Can't change the world man.

7. nobagger

from Pa

I hear ya! Thats one thing I was working on personally starting this past winter, if I was going to offend someone by calling them out to plow and actually make some money or putting up with someone like this guy because I feel bad for him. I'm surprised I put up with it this long.

8. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Had a 45 year old employee a few years ago that did the same thing. He felt compelled in believing the world owed him something.............the teenager syndrome worker.
    He had so many problems at home with a wife whom has heart disease, diabetes, etc. The poor man couldn't maintain a calm composure and stay attentive to chores. Needless-to-say the man quit and started his own mowing company. That didn't last long as he was doing the lawns of ours in equal size for 55% less.............all with push mowers.
    The man passed away 5 years ago..................never really know what happened to him. The odd thing is......his wife is still alive and doing much better.
    The term clinically depressed shouldn't be taken lightly as many American's have this affliction and don't even know it until they fall into a deeper sense of anxiety. Sometimes, the kick to the butt of being fired will jump start their mood...........sometimes it doesn't. This is not your problem.!!!
    The other note of him having seisure's, well the medication will draw them down and make them sluggish. After a seizure, the person doesn't remember anything and will not know what happened. EVER!!!
    You are doing the right thing as you cannot continue running a failing man hour in hopes to bring a person out of the gutter. If the person isn't willing to make a change for the better, then they don't need the attention. It will definitely bring down the whole crew and the work load.

9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I used to be depressed and lost my job for the same reasons as above about 10 years ago. You don't know what its like to be depressed. Its horrible, Its just a bunch of inward thoughts saying all kinds of crap making you feel like an emotional wreck. Even thoughts of suicide. Don't judge this guy. You don't know whats going on in his head.

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What changed that you are no longer clinically depressed....currently?
    Posted via Mobile Device