I hate Flow-PRO valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jul 4, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

They get me all wound up..Well anyway I had to swap out some solenoid's and diaphragms in the 1" body...First three went fine...I get to the fourth Replace the diaphragm unscrew the solenoid and SNAP!

I fumed.....
    I snapped the old solenoid(no biggie I got the broken thread out of the female real quick..but i noticed the white harness(I have no idea what it is called) was broken in 2..I tried to put it back in the valve Jerry rigged but nothing worked....Zone came right on as soon as I turned on the backflow...So my question is has this ever happened to you? What is the name of the white piece, and what goes on when it is properly running??I know I'm a pup...But just wondering if anyone had 2 cents?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has anyone ever seen a coupling in a 1000 FT roll before?

[​IMG]

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Your pictures didn't post. :)

Now they did???

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a solenoid plunger retainer so the plunger doesn't pop out during installation/removal.

4. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Those valves are bad, not just bad because it's my opinion I mean bad out of the box from toro. Whenever you see one of those change it immediately !! run your finger around the mold part (inlet port) where the diaphram sets it's probably out of shape.

:hammerhead: for us using toro.
    :clapping: for us being heros to the homeowners for fiixing the problem.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya brotha, one of the worst products out there. I have many customers that have well water with these valves. They seem to fail at a higher rate off well water than city water from what I've seen. I replaced 12 of them 2 weeks ago on one job.

I will say it again, I HATE TORO.

But I hear they large commercial and golf products are good, just all the crappy residential stuff.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

Now my question is does the pin need to be right up on the solenoid or is it a strucural part of the diaphragm??

Have any of you ever broken these before..My Drunkard supervisor got all over my case..I had to listen to his"IN MY WHOLE CAREER I HAVE NEVER SEEEN..."

It kinda pisst me off.
    Please tell me I'm not the first person that this has ever happened to.

7. Yank the TORO flo-pro. Some products to me at least are not even worth the time to study. The Toro NO hydraulic valves I installed in the late 70s are still churning along. The electric version of this valve is one of the all time greats. Some where a long the way TORO lost it and like a drunk stumbling in an alley can't seem to find their way.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

Sadly, I hate doing these repair re hack jobs..The box was already dug out.A manifold built and installed would of been the best way to go....prob saved the homeowner some $$ on labor for this problem...My boss on the other hand is a "I dont want to dig it if i don't have to kinda guy"

to me sometimes its worth it in the long run to but new in....The homeowner gets a new set up under waranty..No repeat calls ect....

Sadly I work for a stubborn guy...

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you're paid an hourly wage, just do what you're instructed. On your own, never bother repairing a Flo-Pro. Replace the entire valve. Replace entire manifolds of Flo-Pro valves, if single valve replacement isn't feasible. Do not even discuss repairing the valve.

10. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

unfortunately, yes, toro golf is a great product line also some of their larger commercial heads are pretty good by the commercial line of valves are garbage also, at least they were when we installed them.