1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i hate getting stung

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

today, at my first job, i got stung by a wasp that had a nest under the mailbox, it sucks, i had to stop for the day, because im a little allergic, as in, i have a wierd like loosy goosy hi / drunk reaction, so i had to call the cust., drive to the stop, unload, go home, take the pills, shower, and i dunno, its just a pain in the ass, has this ever happened to u?
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Once, pruning a Goldflame Spirea off a sidewalk due to a bee problem. Stuck my arm in the bush and BAM, the sonofagun got me!
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep got stung by a Bumble Bee last week...the SOB flew up my shorts and stung my high thigh which was WAY too close to home base! Stung so hard it drew blood. HATE EM!
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I was going around a tree with some briars at the base while useing the 36" WB one day. I felt these stings on my leg but figured it was the briars getting me. Well it didnt stop when I got past the tree and I looked down and had bee's stinging the crap out of my leg! I let go of the mower and ran across the yard. I had 8-10 stings on my leg. I am not allergic so it didnt bother me any other than the stinging sensation. Left a note at the customers house about the bee's and they took care of them with some gas I think because the grass around the Bee's hole in the ground was dead.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

I may be wrong but I think bumble bee's bite and dont actually sting. Thats probably why it drew blood.
  6. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I was curious about your thought that bumble bees don't sting, so I looked it up......

They DO sting, but unlike honey bees, they don't lose their stingers and die after one sting so they're more like a wasp, they can just keep on coming after you.

They're supposedly much more docile than honey bees, though. Also, like honey bees the males (drones) have no stinger.

Getting stung SUCKS.....I stay away from anything that looks like it might sting!
  7. ProStreetCamaro

Ahhh thanks for the correction. I wasnt sure but thats what I have heard but I heard wrong! LOL
  8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sting...bite....whatever....still hurts! lol
  9. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

i got stung on the ear last year while starting my blower. Hurt, but didn't think much of it....it itched like crazy. Got up the next morning and looked like Sloth (Hey you guys!) from Goonies....lol! My wife finally convinced me to take some Benadryl
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

We were mowing last week and went to go around a swing set. My brother took the swing and tossed it on the A of the swing set, then a bunch of wasp came out of the seat of the swing. He jumped off the stander and just left it there. I had to go get it, lots of fun. They were huge.