I hate Honda's guts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I own 14 of these godforesaken machines. There's probably not a more experienced K2 mechanic in the state.

I HATE honda. They discontinued the K2 series of the HRC216HXA just 2 years after introducing it. Guess what? Parts prices go WAY up as soon as they discontinue a model.

The hydraulic transmission had an MSRP of $341 in '07 but this year, it's gone up to $451. These machines absolutely suck.

This winter, I'm selling all my used Hondas and I'm buying all Toro or Snapper.

At least with these two brands, I won't have blade brake/clutch systems to replace AND I won't have $451 transmissions to replace. Since purchasing the Honda's, I've had to replace 6 or 7 of these damn things. I tried to fix two of them last winter, spent 2 solid days and several hundred on parts only to realize they can't be fixed...at least not by me. Once the seal on the axle starts looking wet, the tranny is ruined. It happens eventually on all of them.

****, these sorry ass machines can't even make it half a season brand new without a break down.

And the dealers: My dealer is good, but if I want to shop around, the next nearest Honda dealer is over 30 minutes away with no traffic. In the DFW metroplex, that's ridiculous. And Honda has told Mowpart and the others they are strictly forebidden to ship Honda parts UPS to customers.

Done with my rant. I could go on and on about the worthless parts drain known as Honda, but I think you guys get the idea.

2. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

This is a picture of the parts wrappers after over-hauling one of these machines. They need to be overhauled about every 6 months. The problem is, because the dealer knows my next nearest dealer is like forever away, the local dealer had NO INCENTIVE to keep parts on hand. This forces me to keep a parts inventory on hand. Currently, I have over $5,000 worth of Honda parts in my garage.

Honda parts pic 4.JPG

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here is a pic of the storage bins I use to keep the small Honda parts in.

Honda parts pic 3.JPG

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here is a close up of the parts inside the bins. I keep them in Stanley boxes.

The problem is, you never know what parts are gonna come in broken. If you order the part from the dealer, it's generally an average of 1 week wait. Then, when the part comes in, assuming you don't procrastinate, if you find you need another part to complete the repair, you could easily be without a $1,200 machine for 3 weeks while you wait on a $2 part to come in.

Honda parts pic 1.JPG

5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Here is another pic of the inside of one of these bins. This little bin probably has over $800 worth of parts in it.

Honda parts pic 2.JPG

6. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

DFW, I never took you as the organized garage type guy.....

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Then, lastly, Honda customer service refuses to verify MSRP on part numbers. A dealer hands a widget over the counter and says it's $XX.xx and you have no idea if you're getting hosed or not. So, you can always call the mfr and verify MSRP, right? Not with Honda. They refuse to verify MSRP to non-dealers. Why have an MSRP in the first place?

The height adjustment lever on the left is for the front. The height adjustment lever on the right is for the rear. One is $2, the other is $11. Go figure.

Honda parts pic 5.JPG

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When you have some time, tell us what you really think about Honda mowers. Next time, don't hold back, just speak it out, as it comes from the heart.

Not to make light of your situation, but perhaps you have a service opportunity in front of you. Clearly, you know the machines, inside out, know how to repair, and believe them to be a service bonanza. Rather than spend money on repairing your machines, spin off a service company that will do the repairs for all the other folks who have the same service needs. Just because you have less-than-happy emotions about those machines doesn't mean it can't be a money-maker for you.

Are all other heavy-duty Honda HRC216 users experiencing the same fate with your machines as DFW?

Oh yes, kukos on your organization of parts and shop. Those empty plastic bags that formerly held new parts, albeit expensive ones, could be a little better organized on the workbench. But, the tubs with compartments, lids, stackable, and easy access -- great job.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I don't think a parts inventory of this magnitude would be anywhere even close to necessary if I were using Toro. The local dealers know that if a guy walks in needing a Toro part, if they don't have it, they lose the sale because the next dealer a mile over probably will.

I F****ing HATE Honda. My Toro's won't have Honda engines after this experience.

10. stbentoak

stbentoak LawnSite Member

Hey I hate them too... Tranny problems up the wazoo, and can't get the thing to run for crap. New carb new coil new everything and they can't get it to run more than about 20 min then it takes a crap. The regional rep even took it as a case study to his boss and they told him that there was no more they could do for me... They already got my money so who gives a **** about the customer....
    Thats OK though, my Quickie 32 is gassed up and ready to go.:cool2:
    and the Honda is going in the river....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.