1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i hate it when...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by markahurley, May 21, 2008.

1. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

the customer keeps asking to mow shorter. i already mow the warm weather grasses as short as reasonably possible--yet i have customers that ask for it to still be shorter. unless they have a perfectly flat lawn, this always means scalping. even when i point this out, they still ask for it. i think it's because they talk to their friends who tell them bermuda can be mowed at 1"--so armed with this bit of "knowledge" they all of a sudden know more than i do about their lawn. it's amazing. :)
  2. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

It's an educational opportunity. Species cutting heights, 1/3 rule, root depth, freaking out the grass, weed barrier, yellow looking lawns, grass blade production, cooling the lawns, moisture retention, spring vs. summer strategies...once the customer understands what will happen they don't ask anymore. Customers truly do not want their yard to look bad, they just don't understand.

I consider it my job to explain how grass works. Actually, I can not remember a customer ever saying that they still want it cut unreasonably short after my spiel.
  3. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

they think by cutting it shorter, that it will take longer for it to grow and needs to be mowed again.
  4. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

that's exactly it..... many of my elderly customers want it hacked real low, figuring they can go 2 wks b/w cuts.... they're not cheap just on fixed incomes, i guess.... doesn't mean it doesn't drive me crazy....

they also figure we're trying to hustle them by cutting it @ 3", insuring it needs to be cut next wk, what a novel idea, cutting the grass once a wk in the spring.

if not for the customers, i'd have no complaints- i swear. okay, maybe gas prices, but that's it. okay and brain dead employees....:hammerhead:
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I rarely get asked to cut the lawns lower but if I do...

I just tell them that my mowers are set to only cut so low and I would have to take them back to my shop to get them to cut any lower and then reverse the process for the next customer.
  6. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

And what percentage of your customers buy this lie?
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a lie. Fixed deck mowers like my Ferris WB have a limited amount of up/down movement, usually a spacer or two that you can play with before the cut suffers. Any higher or lower requires the deck mounts to be lowered on the frame or the washers under the blades to be changed. I have my Dixie setup so the deck drops down to the standard height that most of my lawns get cut at. While the stop is field removable I like to set it back up at a specific height. To reset the stop requires a trip to my shop (like I said).
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i cut my customers lawn how i want. if they want it cut at a different height then they can find someone else. even my floating deck requires 4 clips to be removed and its a pain in the rear to say the least.