I hate Kids!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 24, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Why did I choose a business that I had to compete with a 12 year old kid with? Why didnt i stay in school?

I tried to explain to a customer today that the 12 year old that she dumped me for had no insurance, inferior equipment, and will provide a less than desireable service.

Yeah but its FIVE!! @#@$@# dollars less! FIVE!!!

Whatever

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

When she calls you back raise the price $5 :dizzy:

3. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

thats right....up the price when she calls you back

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

They're right. Even if she doesn't call you back, you can find better customers. Quality always wins. Good luck.

5. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, some people just want their grass cut. They don't really care what it looks like. They don't care how long it takes. They just want it cut and they want it cut CHEAP.

Luckily for you, you realize that you do provide a higher quality product. And luckily for you, there are seemingly more people out in the world who want the higher quality product over the inferior one.

Forget about her. She'd most certainly cause you problems in the long run (ie. "I mailed you that check 2 WEEKS ago! I can't believe it isn't there yet! Must be slow mail" .. or .. "Sorry! I can't believe that I didn't sign that check!" .. "Well, ma'am, can you please sign it now?" .. "Well .. I don't really have a pen right now .. but if you bring it back in a few weeks, I should have something I can sign it with" .. you know .. that kinda stuff.)

Forget her.

StiCK-niNE

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats it bud . with exception of a few kids on this forum ,that are almost amazing ,to me. lady dont have a chance of getting professional work. and his daddy gonna get tired of keeping the mower cutting strait.. hope u left her in a friendly way.one of the secretes in buisiness is end it on a positive note. if u handled it rite ,she probably be calling u.
    then of course u have to increase the rate a little to make room in the schedual.
    good luck.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even see this issue around here ...all the kids hang out at the mall .... there are NO youngster operators here .... altough I see operations with kids working in the summer .....all the power to the kid .... least he's working his parents should be proud

I don't even think twice of these types nor do I wish them in my customer base ....I'll pass on a pita in a heartbeat n I'd pass if she calls back too

We do plenty of homes for basic service and we have a minimum for all areas ....... I only need to know the area without even looking at it to weed out these types n not waste my time even coming out .... this is just for basic ..... extras are extra

8. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Raise her $5 and you want cookies and milk when your finished too!!!!!!:D

9. chocolate chip cookies with walnuts

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

All the games to save a lousy $5.
    Whats it going to cost to re-sod because of improper care? Few THOUSAND maybe?
    People sometimes just don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

Same situation here as Steve for the most part.Never see many kids out mowing. I do have one sub. where I have some residential where some neighborhood boys (brothers) do a bunch. They do great work and they have some pretty nice equipment. I give em' credit for getting out there and earning $$ instead of getting in trouble.They have never tried to take any of my work either. Good kids IMO.:D