I hate King Sago Palms!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FLAhaulboy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I thinned out these Sago's, took (4) hrs using the Stihl Kombi 130 chainsaw & Stihl 029. One hour to haul away-$20 landfill fee for HUGE pile of debris. I quoted $250 for the whole job. I most of been insane to quote such a low price (I blame the extreme heat...addled my brain!) Should of charged at least $450. I went off quoting my regular hour fee thinking this was a "easy" job & quoted a set price. I cussed myself out good the first (2) hours! :nono:

The tree in the middle is a American Chest nut. Beautiful tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. So you made almost $50/hour and your complaining?

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hell yeah, when he could make $60/hour mowing.

I'd much rather mow than deal with sagos, bees, fronds, clean-up, etc.

4. ill take money most ways it comes.....

you will be hard pressed to make 60/hr mowing in florida

5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I'm complaining. I blame "me". Big dumb idiot! :hammerhead::hammerhead:

I'm to busy with work and it was foolish to quote such a low price for one client and not another. After finishing, the client even said, I think you "under quoted" for the job! Yep. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

6. It happens. Move on. I get mad when I quote at 50/hour and end up making 35-40/hour b/c I underbid.

7. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Sagos are PITA plants. But $50.00 an hour is good money though. I would take that also!

8. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know nothing about those kinds of trees as we do not have them in Wisconsin... lol... BUT, I can tell you that you made more per hour then our labor rate for landscaping. Very competative here.

9. etlandscaping

etlandscaping LawnSite Member

The problem is it took you 4 hours....

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was thinking. Chainsaw? What for? Pruners, a couple hours and job is complete. Take the pups, pot them and sell them next year.