1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I hate loaning my stuff out!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Dec 12, 2002.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor asked me if he could borrow my backpack blower the other day. Can't say no. He's seen me in the yard using it. Can't use the excuse "it's broken". He's a good guy. Well, he had it for 2 days. Used it on some other properties he owns. Stuff never comes back the same way it leaves. Shoulder straps were readjusted, and I could tell he dicked around with the carb adjustment. Plus it looked like he had straight gas in the tank after I told him to use a 50:1 mix. Anyone else run into this problem???
  2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

After that I would just explain that it wouldnt be bad if he used it an hr or so next door but it sounds like he's dragging it off to who knows where and having a good chance of being stolen or something and I'm sure he doesn't respect it if he's running straight gas in it when you told him what to use.
    Next time tell him that you will do the blowing he needs done next door. If your willing to give up your equip then you might as well give up your time to insure that your equip. gets taking care of.
    My neighbors never ask but I do help out with leaf clean-up and snow ,It gives me a place to try my equip. out after servicing.
  3. No, because i never lend out the tools of my trade.
  4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah lending out your equipment isnt a good idea, even if its a close friend or neighbor. Rather ask them if they would interested in you doing the blowing instead of them, maybe give alittle discount cause your neighbors??? but i wouldnt lend out anything that i have paid for. Its mine, i worked hard to buy something to improve my business im the one that uses it or my brother thats all.
    Yeah its a neighbor but you gotta still treat it like its a regular customer.
  5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

that sucks, but last time i bet eh???

real easy to say no once you get burned. i only lend something if i am okay with that person destroying it. for a neighbor maybe a rake.

how you feel now, remember that next time he comes a begging.
  6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I guess like say a shovel or a rake isnt too bad to lend to a neighbor. But something thats of more value to my business that costs more to purchase would be something i would never lend out.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

This neighbor has done favors for me, like taking care of my cats when I'm out of town, etc... He did call me after the first night to tell me he got caught up in some other stuff and that he would need the blower another day if it was OK with me. He even offered to pay me. I guess I'm just a sucker. Blower did seem to run okay today after adjusting the carb. Maybe I'll take Bubble Boys suggestion and offer him a rake next time.
  8. My neighbor does things for me when he does i pay him .Hes a plummer and if i need some plumming he aint gonna lend me his tools unless i hire him to do the work.
    So i aint gonna lend him my tools.If i happened to have a home owner model around i use for my personal lawn care thats a different story.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Really shouldn't complain then.

I know it is frustrating though when something like using a simple piece of equipment turns into a hassle because the guy can't figure out how to properly operate a piece of equipment that a 5 year old could operate. Choke, pull cord, choke off, throttle. How much harder could it be. I really, really shy away from loaning equipment. Sometimes you can't always dodge that bullet though. That's why I limit my friend and neighbor intake. I really could care less if I'm the less friendly guy. I married my best friend, she is enough. Of course the occasional drinking buddy is good. :D
  10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

enuf said!!!
    :angry: :mad: :angry: :mad: